Best advice you have ever heard on smoking brisket , whole packer.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WYO SMOKE

Original poster
May 11, 2020
You must have dried it out a few times to be in the place I am. It takes time, $ and a few bad dinners to truly understand that each piece of meat is unique from the last one you smoked right. There are rules that everyone should follow at a minimum. Your going to spend 18-24 hours on this thing if it’s a whole packer which I strongly suggest doing first if your new. You have to to cook it whole first to understand how both parts play in the overall final product. It’s not intimidating. Tell your self that in the beginning. Smoking a brisket is the whole thing. Flat or Point separation is a different cooking method/technique that requires a different thread altogether. Do these 5 things and you may put a smile on your Texas Aunts face.
Prime grade or better. Control the temperature of the smoker. If you have not learned the ins/outs of your smoker yet, you might as well be trying to run a 4 minute mile and you can pause from posting about...... You must have control over your smoker to succeed here. Let the salt in your rub work. Not 24hrs. Who has that time. These people who post got all the time in the world apparently. Generous Salt and Course only. I fresh crack tons of pepper also. Not many people will go through the effort but properly, Smokey beef requires real fresh cracked pepper. Lots of it. If your using pepper that’s already been cracked and set for 5 months in your McCormick's shaker, save it for eggs. Step 3. Put that whole packer in the the smoker and use general guidelines, forums, to mentally prepare yourself to never open the smoker door unless it’s........ I smoke naked with no wraps or injections or all the other bs I read. 15 lbs whole packer I set and didn’t open the door for 13 hrs. This is my 6th one. Every time you open the door with your lack of confidence, the bla bla bla it takes. Heat out, smoke out and your just stalling when you don’t even realize your doing so. Keep the door closed. Close the door. Resist your urge to play. Lots of posts have mops and sprays and foil and bullshit. These work but people need to understand how to render a Brisket before they perfect it. 4. Invest in digital thermometer. If you don’t have one, your either skilled or stupid. 5. Trust. Put that probe into the thickest part of the meat when you check it after 13 hrs, point side. Patience is key. You must relax. Learning to relax is what makes you a pit master. You must let it ride. Every time you open the door is an immediate delay in end result. I smoked a 15 lb brisket and only opened the door 3 times. In, thermometer insertion and pulling it out. The less you F with it the better. Brisket is hard because patience is a virtue. Many people not agree. Long story short, you have to F it up a couple of times to begin the transformation. The beautiful think about smoking brisket is that you as the cook could have done everything right, still bad. Respect. No two are the same.

I hope I have your self confidence after my 6th brisket. I’ve only done 3 packers, butI thought they turned out good. 2 were not “prime or better” and one was prime. I was equally pleased with the finished product between them.

I've done one packer and one flat. Ive learned my lesson after a couple disappointments. Next time I'm not going to inject, not going to use a rub I'm not familiar with (might even keep it real simple with salt/pepper), but I'm still on the fence with wrapping. Either way, I have learned that simplifying the process will yield good dependable results.

Reactions: tallbm
Yes, simplifying the process is the way to go. Do yourself a favor and just go with 50-50 salt & freshly cracked black pepper. This is the tried and true Texas Style and really lets the beef flavor shine.

I injected beef broth into mine and it was amazing.

I also did a half a flat because I was eating for myself only, so there was no need for a whole packer or even a whole flat.

sorry I broke all your rules.

I feel like my life just got changed

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the smoker door on my 18" Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker when the pit drops below 200º because the charcoal and wood is about used up, to add more charcoal...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky