Beef Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wayner79

Original poster
Jan 19, 2017
I have a beef brisket about 2.65lb I got a master built electric smoker I was going to smoke it for about 3 hrs foil and let go another 1 hr and half is that too long a lot of people say the right temp is about 190 to 205 I am open to any suggestions I am new to all of this

I have a beef brisket about 2.65lb I got a master built electric smoker I was going to smoke it for about 3 hrs foil and let go another 1 hr and half is that too long a lot of people say the right temp is about 190 to 205 I am open to any suggestions I am new to all of this
Man.. That's a small piece of brisket.
Your going to have a meat thermometer stuck in it during cooking?
Start checking it at 190 I guess.. toothpick or some small skewer poked in it should go in really easy in a couple places.. I do it right through the foil. You could add in some beef broth to the foil before you seal it up.. couple ounces is all.
Do that after it hits 165 maybe.. .then let it go to 190 and check it.. check again every 5 degrees.. It should be done for sure by 205-207°

Then you can open the foil and let it cool a few minutes.. let some heat out of the foil.. wrap it back up and let it sit in the oven maybe an hour or 2 at the low 170° setting.
Or put it in a cooler with towels under and over it. 2 hours usually people try for.. that keeps it hot to slice in a couple hours not using any heat.. gives it the juice redistribution time.. :cool:

Reactions: wayner79
Thanks for the input guys yes it is a small piece!! It turned out okay it was tough and dry I put it on 225 for about 5 1/2 hours I proved it temp was about 187 i let it smoke for about 3 hours then I foiled it up

It turned out okay it was tough and dry it was a small piece but I am new to all of this I guess practice makes perfect

First off, brisket flat is unquestionable the easiest thing to screw up there is. It totally lean and relatively thin. It needs tons of time to break down the connective tissues. That is the key, that turning of the collagen in the meat to a jelly like consistency which gives the meat that unctuousness that we all crave. That is achieved in a very small window of cooking time. Generally folks talk about that being the temperature range of 195-205* IT. But dude, listen to me, that means diddly squat. What you are looking for is probe tenderness, like a toothpick going into jello. It wobbles when you shake it. Before and beyond its raw or dry shoe leather.

There's also the rest, as has been stated. It needs to rest at least an hour but preferably longer so that the meat can finish its cooking process slowly. If you just yank it from the cooker and begin carving it will cave on you.

These are probably the two most critical steps that a lot of first time guys completely miss. You might also read a little bit about injecting, especially in a flat. Some guys also cook in a foil pan (which I believe constitutes braising but other might disagree). I wrap in pink butchers paper at the stall to avoid messing up the bark it took me 12+ hours to achieve.

Bottom line, keep trying. Continue to read posts that talk about steps to successful brisket. You will eventually get it.

You did what at 187?
You could dice it and use it for chili now if you so desired.. makes great chili .
I pulled the brisket out of the smoker I proved it temp was 187 it was pretty good I didn’t even think about using the rest in chili

I pulled the brisket out of the smoker I proved it temp was 187 it was pretty good I didn’t even think about using the rest in chili
I think you pulled it early. On just a small piece of flat like that I would have wrapped it like I do with a chuck roast.
Use a toothpick and start checking it for tenderness around 198F. You do this by gently sliding the toothpic in all over the flat and if it gives no resistance all over then you pull it off.

The tenderness test is what tells you it is done. The temp of 198F or so just tells you to start checking for tenderness.
Give this a shot and see what you get. FYI, I do whole packer briskets and my tenderness tests are passed anywhere from 203-207F. I haven't had one be tender lower than those temps but I know it could happen.

Best of luck! :)

First off, brisket flat is unquestionable the easiest thing to screw up there is. It totally lean and relatively thin. It needs tons of time to break down the connective tissues. That is the key, that turning of the collagen in the meat to a jelly like consistency which gives the meat that unctuousness that we all crave. That is achieved in a very small window of cooking time. Generally folks talk about that being the temperature range of 195-205* IT. But dude, listen to me, that means diddly squat. What you are looking for is probe tenderness, like a toothpick going into jello. It wobbles when you shake it. Before and beyond its raw or dry shoe leather.

There's also the rest, as has been stated. It needs to rest at least an hour but preferably longer so that the meat can finish its cooking process slowly. If you just yank it from the cooker and begin carving it will cave on you.

These are probably the two most critical steps that a lot of first time guys completely miss. You might also read a little bit about injecting, especially in a flat. Some guys also cook in a foil pan (which I believe constitutes braising but other might disagree). I wrap in pink butchers paper at the stall to avoid messing up the bark it took me 12+ hours to achieve.

Bottom line, keep trying. Continue to read posts that talk about steps to successful brisket. You will eventually get it.
Thanks for the info really appreciate the input yeah I agree I never bothered with letting It rest or checking see how the probe went in or nothing I will definitely keep all these thing u said next time I do a brisket for sure!! You got any tips on how to smoke a ham I thought of doing one for Christmas a spiral sliced maybe!!!

Thanks for the info really appreciate the input yeah I agree I never bothered with letting It rest or checking see how the probe went in or nothing I will definitely keep all these thing u said next time I do a brisket for sure!! You got any tips on how to smoke a ham I thought of doing one for Christmas a spiral sliced maybe!!!

Best to PM daveomak, he's really the ham curing/smoking guru around here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky