Beef back ribs galore Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natej

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Sunday bought around a hankerin' for some beef back ribs! Rubbed some down with simple salt & pepper and some with my beef rub. The Mrs whipped up some spicy bbq sauce and some mustard, pickle and fennel slaw.

Went out onto the smoker over hickory and lump at 250, didnt wrap at all, just took em nude all the way through, been using an oven tray with some holes drilled in it over my charcoal basket to deflect the direct heat and my meat has been coming out jucier and the temps in the barrel have been alot more steady and stable

Only thing i would change is i probably overseasoned, overtook the flavour of the beef a little

Reactions: johnny b
Those look great!!! I've been obsessed with beef ribs lately.  I noticed myself that they can't handle too much seasoning all that well, I have been scaling back my seasoning. The meat is so tender and flavorful on its own!!

Cheers guys! Was good tasting as you can see lol but definitely over rubbed.. was told to leave the 2nd part of the membrane on aswell to hold them together, well i deffo wont be doing that again haha!! Pulled if off before eating

Nice bark, haven't tried smoking these yet but have been dying to might be my next smoke. I never see any worth buying at the stores around here, might have to try a local butcher.

Are they beef back or uncut beef short ribs?
The reason I ask is that I have reasently smoked both. I get pull back on both ends of the short ribs they are real meaty and they tend to fall off the bone.
The beef back ribs are generally less meaty because they come from the prime and the butcher cuts them as close to the bone as possible because prime is worth dibble the price of beef back ribs. Getting nice meaty beef back ribs is difficult unless you buy a beef and have the butcher cut it up the way you want it. Other than that the restaurant get first dibs on the good ones.

These are my beef back ribs.

And these are my uncut short ribs,

Randy,

Are they beef back or uncut beef short ribs?
The reason I ask is that I have reasently smoked both. I get pull back on both ends of the short ribs they are real meaty and they tend to fall off the bone.
The beef back ribs are generally less meaty because they come from the prime and the butcher cuts them as close to the bone as possible because prime is worth dibble the price of beef back ribs. Getting nice meaty beef back ribs is difficult unless you buy a beef and have the butcher cut it up the way you want it. Other than that the restaurant get first dibs on the good ones.

These are my beef back ribs.

And these are my uncut short ribs,

Randy,

Their some mighty fine lookin ribs there! Nice bark

When i picked them up from the butcher, they came in 2 packs and were labeled beef back ribs, they seemed to have a bit of a V cut alone each rib but only very slightly, certainly wernt super meaty however there was a decent amount still left

I didn't mean to hit send yet! Seriously don't my short ribs look more like your back ribs, lol but your discription is definitely that off beef back ribs, not that it matters because they are both really good, just wondering.

Randy,

Thank you yours look really good as well I have about 20 pounds left in the freezer. Your making me want to smoke them up.[emoji]128522[/emoji]

Oh wow! It seems everytime i visit this forum it ends with a trip to the butcher haha, any sort of beef ribs are hard to come by in australia

Yah! me to, or out of my freezer if I'm lucky, I started out with close to 70 pounds of these beef back ribs that I got from my restaurant owner sister. They came as you said two racks per package. I tried several ways of smoking them to get them tender and juicy but they always ended up a bit chewy good but not what I was looking for, until I Sous Vide cooked a rack at 135 degrees for 48 hours they came out a perfect med rear, only next time I will cold smoke them for a couple hours first and pull that thick membrane befor I Sous Vide cook them. After I Sous Vide them I reseasoned them slathered them with sauce and grilled them a couple minutes on each side on a 600 degree grill for a nice bark. Lord were they good like eating prime rib on a stick. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Yah! me to, or out of my freezer if I'm lucky, I started out with close to 70 pounds of these beef back ribs that I got from my restaurant owner sister. They came as you said two racks per package. I tried several ways of smoking them to get them tender and juicy but they always ended up a bit chewy good but not what I was looking for, until I Sous Vide cooked a rack at 135 degrees for 48 hours they came out a perfect med rear, only next time I will cold smoke them for a couple hours first and pull that thick membrane befor I Sous Vide cook them. After I Sous Vide them I reseasoned them slathered them with sauce and grilled them a couple minutes on each side on a 600 degree grill for a nice bark. Lord were they good like eating prime rib on a stick. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Oh man they look beautiful! Ive never tried sous vide bit it certainly intrigues me! What temp didn you take the back ribs too before the sous vide method? Mine had a sticker on them that said slow cook, so i just cooked em like a chuck and just took them out when they had good flex and probed tender

I did mine the same way as you did yours. Couldn't really get an inturnal trmp reading on them. The Sous Vide takes all the guess work out of it by cooking only to the degree you set it to. We like med rear so I set it for 135. If you like yours more done then set it higher. Here is a shot of them cut and plated kind of ugly plating, there was supposed to be a baked potato on the plate.

Randy,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky