bbq smoke pork spare ribs with belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bayaniroca

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
Hi guys!!

I recently started smoking and i live in the S.E asia where bbq smoking is zero. I wanted to start bbq smoke just by learning here in this forum and luckily i have good results.

My problem is we dont have high quality pork ribs available since it is always exported to other countries. Im left with low quality meats so i decided to try something. Including pork belly in spare ribs when smoking.

My question is Do i still do the 3-2-1 method? Will pork belly spare ribs achieve smoke ring?

i have pictures for reference

Hmmm, with that much meat you might need to go longer than 3-2-1.  You could certainly try it, then probe the meat with a two-pronged fork for tenderness.  The fork should slide into the meat like into warm butter.  You could also check the temp of the meat (not the fat).  Around 195°F (91°C) should work.  If it needs to cook longer to get up to temp, either leave it exposed (slower, but more smoke taste) or wrap it back up (faster, but less smoke taste).

Keep us posted how it turns out.   

i smoke them for 6 hrs in 275*F. i use 3-2-1 method and achieve 195*F internal temp. My problem is the smoke ring. If using Bone-In Pork Belly, how could i get that smoke ring? 

i trim off excess fat which i think would prevent smoke ring but still cant get that smoke ring. 

if i try to smoke it uncovered for 5 hrs. is it better or worse than 3-2-1 method??

my smoker is a reverse offset smoker.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky