Backwoods Users. Quick question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boomer04

Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
Ive been using a Party model for some time and always struggle to keep temps down in the 225* range. To do so, I must completely close one damper, and open the other damper 1/8" in which I think produces a dirty smoldering burn. To get a clean smoke, it wants to run 250-260 which is outside what I like.

Recently started running an ATC, but even with that I have to close the damper on the fan which I think is producing the same result

What are you running and wheres the sweet spot with regards to temp?

I fought with all 3 of my stick burners forever trying manage the temps in the 225-230° range and finally said the heck with it and let them run where they want to at 260-280°. I can tell that the smoke is cleaner, meat cooks a tad quicker, and more importantly, a lot less hassle constantly fighting the temps. I had much rather run hotter temps than smother the fire and get bitter smoke. Do a cook at the temp it wants to run and judge the flavor of the smoke against past cooks the lower temp. IMHO there is nothing wrong with cooking in the range you mentioned it want to run at.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky