Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
After a busy few days for a old retired guy it was time to fire up the SQ36 for a rack of baby back pork ribs. Mustard brushed and SPOG
DSCN1192.JPG

I'd picked up a bag of RO lump from Walmart earlier, looked more like RO potato chips upon opening the bag. I dumped a bunch into a wheelbarrow and shoveled into the firebox on the SQ36, 20 minutes late threw on a couple of hickory splits. It took the raging inferno a good hour to where I could establish heat control around 275º, put on the rack. I'd already decided I was going naked all the way to 203º IT, spritzing about every half hour with straight apple juice. Ran out of hickory and started in with some oak chunks, 5&1/2 hours both probes read 203º, a first.
DSCN1196.JPG

Wrapped the rack in foil and let it rest in a cooler with a couple of towels for 45 minutes
DSCN1198.JPG

I cut a few ribs from each end of the rack for dinner, didn't have quite as pronounced a smoke ring as I've achieved lately, the flavor was great and the bite darned near perfect
DSCN1199.JPG
DSCN1200.JPG

Hardly used a drop of the SBR, will sous vide leftovers for dinner tonight. Today will tidy up the smoker, I'm really getting to love my stick burner. Maybe get on with making some sausage later today, porkbutts are all thawed out. Thanks for looking. RAY

Attachments

• DSCN1192.JPG
    DSCN1192.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1196.JPG
    DSCN1196.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1198.JPG
    DSCN1198.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1199.JPG
    DSCN1199.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1200.JPG
    DSCN1200.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 16
Those ribs sure do look good Ray. We're experiencing that cyclone bomb(Nor-easter) today so the smokers are staying in the garage.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
Thank you all so much! I'm hoping that a hour in the Sous Vide pot at about 165º will provide another great dinner without altering the texture too much. Been busy all day chopping, grinding, and mixing 25 pounds of my Italian sausage with Cabernet and garlic. Everything is taking a overnight rest in the fridge with stuffing and vac-sealing scheduled for tomorrow, the clean-up is brutal but has to be done.

gmc2003: I've never been in a cyclone, tornado, or hurricane, just seen them on TV, I'd have no idea what to do. You're in my thoughts, stay safe. RAY

Those ribs sure do look good Ray. We're experiencing that cyclone bomb(Nor-easter) today so the smokers are staying in the garage.

Point for sure
Chris

Chris stay safe it hit here last night,I will be picking up branches and twigs when the wind stops.
Richie
Ray sorry not meaning to high jack your post

Heck Richie, that ain't a hijack, no problem. I think concern about a cyclone is a bit more important than my post about some dead pig meat. RAY

Thank you all so much! I'm hoping that a hour in the Sous Vide pot at about 165º will provide another great dinner without altering the texture too much. Been busy all day chopping, grinding, and mixing 25 pounds of my Italian sausage with Cabernet and garlic. Everything is taking a overnight rest in the fridge with stuffing and vac-sealing scheduled for tomorrow, the clean-up is brutal but has to be done.

gmc2003: I've never been in a cyclone, tornado, or hurricane, just seen them on TV, I'd have no idea what to do. You're in my thoughts, stay safe. RAY

Thanks Ray, a cyclone bomb isn't nearly as bad as a tornado or hurricane, but it does have strong wind gusts and very heavy rain. We've had major wind and heavy rain all day. The wind gusts are frightening as that's what brings down the trees and power lines. I have four twenty five year old maples in my front yard and they were bending pretty bad. Fortunately they're still standing strong. I'm also fortunate as my yard is not part of natural water run off. My neighbors yards across the street are flooded. I'm sure they'll have some water damage.

Chris stay safe it hit here last night,I will be picking up branches and twigs when the wind stops.
Richie
Ray sorry not meaning to high jack your post

I don't envy you Richie, I'll be doing the same thing come Monday. I have to work this weekend.

Chris

Yea all you guys affected keep your heads down and stay safe.

And those ribs look really nice! And Ray since we are neighbors (so to speak) when are we having those sausages?

Don't tell my wife as I am not supposed to have them on this damn new diet/lifestyle change. :emoji_disappointed:

John

Reactions: sawhorseray
Sent you a PM John, I won't say a word to the wife. RAY

Good looking plate of food!! If you're shoveling wood into that smoker, it must be quite a cooker. Do you have a pic of it you could share?

Robert

It's not that it's a huge smoker, the only access to the firebox is thru a door on the end of the unit.
firebox.jpg
DSC_0014.JPG

It's the only aspect of the SQ36 that I view as a design flaw, but I guess the folks that build them know a bit more about design than I do. I can't empty a large bag of coals into the firebox, and even the coal chimney I bought when it arrived doesn't fit. I light the firebox with a blow torch. It's a really well made smoker, 1/4" plate steel with nice welds. There's better pics on this site. RAY

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catalog/barbecue-smokers/sq36-offset-barbeque-smoker/

It's not that it's a huge smoker, the only access to the firebox is thru a door on the end of the unit.
View attachment 408761 View attachment 408762
It's the only aspect of the SQ36 that I view as a design flaw, but I guess the folks that build them know a bit more about design than I do. I can't empty a large bag of coals into the firebox, and even the coal chimney I bought when it arrived doesn't fit. I light the firebox with a blow torch. It's a really well made smoker, 1/4" plate steel with nice welds. There's better pics on this site. RAY

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catalog/barbecue-smokers/sq36-offset-barbeque-smoker/

That sucks! I bought a Char-Griller Grill/Smoker. It too has a firebox on the side. Luckily, I can use a chimney to get the coals going and put wood in after without issues. I may need to seal up the side of the box but with the amount of smoke I got plus the heat built up, I am fine for now. I will tinker with it later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky