Baby Backs and Chickens...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Gonna fire up the smoker tomorrow. Been craving ribs and now that the week of rain is over, I want to be outside in the sun. Chickens went on sale so I picked up 6 to smoke along with the ribs. 1 for Mom, 2 for Sister, 1 for my uncle with health problems (can't run his smoker right now), and 2 for next weekend @ the fishing camp. Snapper season opens and we are going. Will be a quick meal to warm up in the oven after a long day on the water.

pics. when I can post them tomorrow...

How's the price of baby backs down there?
I live in prime pig territory and the price is starting to hit plywood levels.
Well , not that bad, but $5/# is getting common.

What's your favorite chicken method? Once I started spatchcock there was no going back.

I picked these baby backs up for $2.49/# and that is higher than I would normally pay.

Nothing fancy on the chickens, just salt and some Memphis rub. Pull 'em @170*F in the leg.

Good luck at the fish camp.

We are getting run over with the invasive snakehead fish here neighbor just caught one 30" long and #10.

Warren

Ribs..
IMG_20210523_125342.jpg

Just put the chickens on...
IMG_20210523_125600.jpg

Nice feed in the smoker
How was the skin on the chickens

David
Not as crispy as I would like... Had I been doing just chickens I would have cranked the heat up to about 300*F to cook the chickens, which is as hot as I like to push it with my wood smoker. But smoking with ribs, I ran it 260-280*F. There was a 20-25*F difference top to bottom so I moved the ribs to the top when I put the chickens on. The moisture from the chickens kept the ribs moist...I don't wrap when I do ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky