Apple Butter on Boston Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herrjaeger

Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
Charleston, SC
4F6E546D-FF25-430A-948B-1E253C6E2FDB.jpeg
When smoking BBS, I’ve usually used mustard on them before applying a dry rub. For awhile now, I’ve been thinking about using Apple Butter instead of mustard, since apple flavors go so well with pork traditionally. I did a search here before trying it, and I didn’t find any previous posts for this particular application. It has finally gotten a bit cooler here in SC, getting me interested in smoking again, so I tried it two nights ago. It gave me nice dark brown bark, which I’d expected given the sugar content of the Apple Butter, with excellent taste. Apologies if this has been posted before.

Looks good!

I have a small(3.5lb) boneless butt on now.If I had seen this yesterday I would have given the apple butter a try,that really does look good.

It's definitely has a good bark. Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Great Idea, Mike!!
Apple Butter being quite Thick, should definitely do a great job of holding the Rub!!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks, guys. I was surprised how little it took to cover the butt-I think it actually covered the meat more easily than the mustard I usually use, and the bark taste was very good. I ate lots of Apple Butter as a kid in PA, not so much in recent years as I no longer live near an apple growing area. Now I have an extra reason to keep some around. I need to look for a BBQ sauce recipe with Apple Butter, or make one if I don’t find one. Let me know if any of you try the Apple Butter.

Just the other day, I was thinking about doing this for ribs. We live close to some Amish communities and can find the "good stuff" pretty easy. Going to try it out on a ham I am double smoking for dinner tomorrow!

Thanks!

Ham and Apple butter; two favorites. Have you ever tried soaking/marinating ham in ginger ale before baking? I save the pan drippings and cook leftover ham with green beans and potatoes the next day and the ginger ale/ham drippings really add flavor. I can imagine with smoke and Apple butter ham drippings would be equally good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky