Anyone here own a Green Mountain pellet grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bought a GMG Daniel Boone on Black Friday. It's awesome so far. Fired it up did the burn in and then baked cookies and later that evening bacon wrapped chicken breast

Hi there.... with you purchasing a new GM Pellet, I'm curious if your temperatures across the grates have been comparable? I've had mine about 6 months and have been battling a variation in Temps since I got it. Also the digital controller is off about 20 degrees from actual temps. ( I have to set the readout at 250 to get about 225 to 230 degrees on average). I have the variation set on the controller, and have removed the right and left side plates in order to get a bit more even temps.

I cooked the turkey on mine very juicy delicious

Hi there.... with you purchasing a GM Pellet, I'm curious if your temperatures across the grates have been comparable? I've had mine about 6 months and have been battling a variation in Temps since I got it. Also the digital controller is off about 20 degrees from actual temps. ( I have to set the readout at 250 to get about 225 to 230 degrees on average). I have the variation set on the controller, and have removed the right and left side plates in order to get a bit more even temps.

Third cook on the GMG today. And I'm finding quite a variance in temps across the grate. The temp on the cooker is about 20 to 30 degrees off temps in the cooker being lower. depending on the placement of the Maverick probe. From what I've read on the GMG site this is common. The temp reading on the cooker is an average reading.

My cooker came with the one piece heat distribution that goes over the burner. Still learning to use this.

Third cook on the GMG today. And I'm finding quite a variance in temps across the grate. The temp on the cooker is about 20 to 30 degrees off temps in the cooker being lower. depending on the placement of the Maverick probe. From what I've read on the GMG site this is common. The temp reading on the cooker is an average reading.

My cooker came with the one piece heat distribution that goes over the burner. Still learning to use this.
I had a 3 piece...right/left/ and center which is over the burner....(I kept that one in) ...then the drip pan over the top of that.

I assume you are saying that you had a one piece that goes over the burner and also the right and left sides?

I just have not had a lot of time to play...but with removing the right and left side plates things have gotten a lot better...just can't seem to get true digital temps..... and I also have read about those issues...and have made the adjustments.  But still find the over all temps inside to vary a lot.

Still a fun piece of equipment... just wish there were not quite as many variables..

Hi I have had a db with wifi for 6 months and love it. Now as for which model u get will depend on what your plans are that u are going to,cook. I was thinking of upgrading mine to the JB which is much bigger because at times I will fill mine up for party's but for average everyday use the db is plenty big enough so u buying the D.C. Depends on how much and how big of a cut of meat u may cook but good luck with whichever u purchase. Rich

I bought the Davey Crockett Saturday and made some BBQ Chicken that was outstanding ! my first pellet grill attempt was amazing !

Hi I have had a db with wifi for 6 months and love it. Now as for which model u get will depend on what your plans are that u are going to,cook. I was thinking of upgrading mine to the JB which is much bigger because at times I will fill mine up for party's but for average everyday use the db is plenty big enough so u buying the D.C. Depends on how much and how big of a cut of meat u may cook but good luck with whichever u purchase. Rich
I have the Daniel Boone with wi-fi and like it also.... I still have issues with temps..but can adjust for that pretty well.  I think it is the perfect size... as there is just normally my wife and I....and sometimes I make a little extra for others.  A while back... I make a pork loin...and put some baked beans (doctored up my way) below it and caught some of the drippings... Darn good stuff.  Also made some red potatoes along side everything else.  So you can be creative and make several things at one time.  Haven't tried pizza in it yet.... but have cranked her up and cooked some burgers just to see how that would work. Think I will just use my regular Sommerset BBQ grill in the future for burgers... just seems to run too much and uses too many pellets on the DB.

After using wood and charcoal for decades I decided to go electric. I purchased a Smokin-It 3D last fall that is okay but that's another story. Does pellet grills give good smoke taste. Deciding on a DC, Rec Tech or some other pellet grill.

After using wood and charcoal for decades I decided to go electric. I purchased a Smokin-It 3D last fall that is okay but that's another story. Does pellet grills give good smoke taste. Deciding on a DC, Rec Tech or some other pellet grill.
I had been a propane/wood user for a long time.... Still have the Masterbuilt Dual Pro....... but went with a pellet smoker about 6 months ago.....

I love the pellet idea... pretty clean overall. and is almost a set it and forget it type cooker. (with a few temp adjustments - there is no need to constantly add wood etc). The Green Mountain (Daniel Boone) that I have does a pretty good job of smoking, and outside of their being a learning curve to get used to adjusting the proper temperatures....it is a keeper. A lot has been written about the continuity of temps across the grates.....and even the Green Mountain people have attempted some electronic fixes.  I have the Wifi version and that too is pretty cool to be able to adjust and keep an eye on the smoker without having to open the lid etc.  I am still experimenting with the various flavor's of pellets....and so far have been very happy with Applewood, Pecan, and Mesquite.  I am not a big fan of the mixed flavors, but never say never until I try it once. As to smoke flavor - I like the amount that the Daniel Boone puts out. I am not a lover of the real Strong smoke flavor that I believe can be gotten by continuing adding wood in the conventional smokers throughout the whole cook.

Last edited:
I had been a propane/wood user for a long time.... Still have the Masterbuilt Dual Pro....... but went with a pellet smoker about 6 months ago.....

I love the pellet idea... pretty clean overall. and is almost a set it and forget it type cooker. (with a few temp adjustments - there is no need to constantly add wood etc). The Green Mountain (Daniel Boone) that I have does a pretty good job of smoking, and outside of their being a learning curve to get used to adjusting the proper temperatures....it is a keeper. A lot has been written about the continuity of temps across the grates.....and even the Green Mountain people have attempted some electronic fixes.  I have the Wifi version and that too is pretty cool to be able to adjust and keep an eye on the smoker without having to open the lid etc.  I am still experimenting with the various flavor's of pellets....and so far have been very happy with Applewood, Pecan, and Mesquite.  I am not a big fan of the mixed flavors, but never say never until I try it once. As to smoke flavor - I like the amount that the Daniel Boone puts out. I am not a lover of the real Strong smoke flavor that I believe can be gotten by continuing adding wood in the conventional smokers throughout the whole cook.
Thanks Buck. After buying a Smokin-It last fall, I am going to weigh this decision a little more closely. Don't get me wrong the Smokin-It 3D does what it supposed to do as an electric smoker. But it comes no where near to competing with wood fire.

I am always concerned about smoke flavor yes, but in the case of pellet grills there are a lot of moving parts that could break down or go awry that could prevent you from using the wood pellet after several years.

Thanks Buck. After buying a Smokin-It last fall, I am going to weigh this decision a little more closely. Don't get me wrong the Smokin-It 3D does what it supposed to do as an electric smoker. But it comes no where near to competing with wood fire.

I am always concerned about smoke flavor yes, but in the case of pellet grills there are a lot of moving parts that could break down or go awry that could prevent you from using the wood pellet after several years.
y

Jack.....interesting that you mention the concern about break down.....I have been following these threads here for quite a while, and have not seen very much said about breaking down with the pellet smokers. I am sure it happens once in a while but just doesn't seem to be posted here much. I do know that some initially have had issues with the computer/wifi with the Green Mountain grills, but from what I have read the company has taken care of those problems/customers. I also see occasionally where an auger gets clogged or stuck, usually due to wet pellets and that just normally requires a good cleaning out. So far (knock on wood here) I have not had any breakdowns....and hope that continues. Thumbs Up

Take care - Happy Smoking!!

I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone Grill on that I've had for 3 or 4 months now and I really love it I cooked 4 chicken haves yesterday at 275 degrees for 2 hours and the smoke was just right Internal temp was 180 and it was greatI bought amazing smoker this Square 12 inch and used it one time on a 2-inch filet mignon it really hadded a lot of smoke so I did not use it on the chicken because I was afraid it would be too much and now I'm sure it would because the chicken was just right without the amazing smoker I really love that wifi part of the Green Mountain Grill because it allows me to set in my living room and my lazy boy and control my smoker completely changing the temperature up and down and do it whatever I want to and also monitor the internal temperature of the meat as well as the temperature of the grill it is really a nice machine and I love it

I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone Grill on that I've had for 3 or 4 months now and I really love it I cooked 4 chicken haves yesterday at 275 degrees for 2 hours and the smoke was just right Internal temp was 180 and it was greatI bought amazing smoker this Square 12 inch and used it one time on a 2-inch filet mignon it really hadded a lot of smoke so I did not use it on the chicken because I was afraid it would be too much and now I'm sure it would because the chicken was just right without the amazing smoker I really love that wifi part of the Green Mountain Grill because it allows me to set in my living room and my lazy boy and control my smoker completely changing the temperature up and down and do it whatever I want to and also monitor the internal temperature of the meat as well as the temperature of the grill it is really a nice machine and I love it

Rex,
Sounds like your DB is working great. Are your temps across the inside pretty reliable to what the computer shows? I still am having about a 20 degree difference even after making the adjustment recommended by Green Mountain. Just curious how yours is working overall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky