Anyone ever put one of these in an Instant Pot??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Keep forgetting this is in the fridge. Doing wings today on the kettle but this needs to get cooked and I'm not feeling the crockpot this time. Done a bunch that way and it comes out great, just looking for something a little quicker for a weekday cook. Seen a few recipes on the web, but I trust the content here by far over some random kitchen blog.

I'm all ears if anyone has done this. Thanks in advance.

20230827_103258.jpg

Not sure what you're looking for as an end result , but I would cube it up and debone .
Sautee , then high pressure for 50 minutes . Natural release . Add whatever liquid you think it needs to not burn .
I go in unseasoned , then shred or chop after it comes out . Put that in a skillet to crisp up and season how you need for the dish . Tacos , pulled pork or whatever .

FYI the times are just what I use as a general cook .
Here's something I did using pork loin . Might be an idea in there somewhere .

Not sure what you're looking for as an end result , but I would cube it up and debone .
Sautee , then high pressure for 50 minutes . Natural release . Add whatever liquid you think it needs to not burn .
I go in unseasoned , then shred or chop after it comes out . Put that in a skillet to crisp up and season how you need for the dish . Tacos , pulled pork or whatever .

FYI the times are just what I use as a general cook .
Here's something I did using pork loin . Might be an idea in there somewhere .
Normally the crockpot version is shredded after cooking then mixed with sauce, so that's really the end target. Thanks!

Reactions: chopsaw
That works here too , just depends on the time . That 50 minutes / natural release gets me in the ballpark . I'll do brisket flats with that time and it cubes up , but is completely tender .
Post up what you do if you get time .

That works here too , just depends on the time . That 50 minutes / natural release gets me in the ballpark . I'll do brisket flats with that time and it cubes up , but is completely tender .
Post up what you do if you get time .
Will do. Its tomorrow after work so I'll have figured something out by then.

I dont have an Instapot, but it seems like I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't. I have a Zavor Lux multicooker that I only use the pressure cook features on usually. I'm not sure what the use of the slow cooker features are on it since in my experience I can get the same results faster, pressure cooking.

I haven't been in the mood for traditional pulled pork Q in the last couple years, so I break down butts and cut the prime meat in to country ribs, and cube the rest to be ground and usually made in to Chorizo.

Not long ago, I wanted some country ribs but my MES is not good for smoking in the summer heat (long story, already discussed and been prodded to buy Jeff's devices), so I gave the pressure cooker a try. It worked well.

I gathered recipe ideas from the web and complied them adding my own knowledge. There were two options in my recipe, one was to marinate with spices, cider vinegar, water and soy sauce (I omitted any sweetener, I prefer savory), and the other was applying a rub, then browning before putting in the pressure cooker. I chose the latter, but I hate browning/searing down inside a deep pot, so I dont do that with the pressure cooker, slow cooker or even a dutch oven. I brown in a different skillet or cast iron griddle. I'm willing to clean the extra cooking implement for the ease of the frying.

I seasoned heavily with my Cajun seasoning (likely shared here in the past, I dont come here much any more) and browned out on the back deck in an electric skillet. I cook outdoors when I can in the summer to keep the odors down because I dont have a good range hood. Plus it keeps that heat out of the kitchen or garage which are both air conditioned.

I let the Cajun seasoning take the place of the simple pepper, garlic and onion powder dry spices in the base marinating recipe. I then placed the "ribs" in the cooker and used the liquid ratio of the recipe:
3.5-4lbs pork "country ribs"
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
2 tbls soy sauce
Pressure cooked on high 20 minutes (only took 5 mins for the cooker to come to pressure which was a surprise) then a full natural release allowed me to open the pressure cooker in another 20 min.

At this point they were tender enough to purposely start to break them with tongs checking doneness. I started early not believing they would be done that fast so I left them in the cooker (hey, there's that reason for the slow cooker function!) on "keep warm" 165° for a couple hours until ready to finish them. I dont know if that time at 165° further cooked them but they were at the point where most held together and a couple were trying to fall apart.

I dicarded the liquid but the base recipe cooks that liquid down in to a sauce. Thats not the sauce direction I wanted to go, preferring a fairly traditional BBQ sauce.

I set sauce on them out on the gas grill. Can be done under the broiler, but again it was hot outside so...

I wont hesitate to do it again even missing the smoke flavor (I put some liquid smoke in the pot liquid but couldn't taste it). I also wouldn't hesitate to make carnitas the same way like Chopsaw wrote, but I would probably not go unseasoned because I know the flavor profile I'm going for, but going unseasoned gives you a blank slate to work with of course.

I recently got some hatch green chili/salsa verde pork from Sam's Club in a bulk package. It was so delicious I went back and got 2 or 3 more, broke them down in to foodsaver servings and froze them. When I eat through them and decide I want some more I will without a doubt try to replicate that green sauce. But the Sam's pork is bathed in the sauce, not quite conducive to proper carnitas which in my opinion should see a skillet or griddle for a bit right before serving and not be so wet. Both are great, just different approaches to the tender pork.

I look forward to seeing what you ended up doing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky