Anyone build a Hardscape Smokehouse?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pahunter62

Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
I built a new home last year. I plan to pour a cement slap off the back corner of my home for my gas grill and smokers. Behind the slab, I will have need to build a hardscape retention wall. I would like to have the firebox for a smokehouse tied into the edge of my concrete slab. I'm contemplating tying the smokehouse into the retention wall and building it with hardscape materials. Has anyone done this? I would be interested in seeing pictures/ideas posted to this thread. I just think making the smokehouse tie into the retention wall and patio will look better long term than framing one out of wood. If possible, I would also like to run temperatures up to 300 degrees for use as a hot smoker as well. I have free natural gas and plan on adapting the firebox for a natural gas burner as an option for flexibility depending on what I'm smoking.

If you use rock or some similar material for your smokehouse, it will take FOREVER to heat up.... and condensate will form on the walls and ceiling until it's above 200 or so... Been there.... Done that....

If you use rock or some similar material for your smokehouse, it will take FOREVER to heat up.... and condensate will form on the walls and ceiling until it's above 200 or so... Been there.... Done that....

Based on your experience Dave what materials do you recommend for a smokehouse?

Wood.... Plywood... 5/4 sawn boards... Then you can use your propane BBQ to finish cooking after adding smoke...
I wouldn't use that chip board stuff....

Reactions: texomakid
Thank you Dave. I guess I will go with wood framing and Amish sawmill rough cut lumber. Based on your advise, I guess the only thing I may tie into the hardscape is the firebox itself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky