Anybody Buy from and Aldi's?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aldi's is a store meant for value, low price, basically offering the lowest prices on what ever they can get their hand on.  This can be good and bad. I have only been there twice, most recently yesterday.  If you have the time, I would just READ the food product packages.. and you can learn just about everything you need that way.  Spent about half an hour yesterday on my day off just looking around and learning. 

You shouldn't go there for "quality" food, but sometimes you may be happy with a good find.  Yesterday I bought a 1lb bag of flounder fillets for $3.99.  But after reading this thread and checking my packaging I know the flounder is wild caught from China.  I would have liked native flounder instead, but if you have $5 for dinner, it works.  I would say this was a good find. 

No baggers, no one paid to collect carts in the lot, not much for interior design, seemed under staffed.  All these things equate into saved money and lower prices.  If you find a few items that are up to par for your quality then Aldi's is a good store for you, I will go again!

1 lb 24-20 count  frozen shrimp $6.50 (prolly from China though)

Hutch, hello stranger.
cool.gif

We shop at an Aldi's here in oihO. The dry goods , canned food , Dairy , Cheeses and breads are OK... However their Meat Sux...Oh, some of the frozen stuff is ---O.K.
confused.gif
, but the fresh meat like Hamburger, Ribs , Steaks and such are PooPoo  ,  with a Capital "P"  
icon_exclaim.gif

But that's just M.O.
rolleyes.gif

Have fun and ...

P.S. PM.....

This is an interesting thread because I thought Aldi's was only here in North Carolina.  Aldi's is a discount store--you really can't expect them to see quality food.  I'll admit, I do purchase some things from them but I will never buy meat, "fresh" fruit and vegtables from them ever again.  I bought a pork loin from them over the Summer. After 1 bite, I threw the entire loin in the garbage.  My mom bought some hot dogs from them and got violently sick afterwards.  You really have to inspect their vegtables closely because they often sell (at least the few Aldi's that I've been to) old vegtables. For example, over the Summer, they were selling cherry tomatoes and blueberries  . Fresh, these fruits should have a sweet smell to them.  Aldi's has no smell to them. And the skin on the tomatoes usually looked old.

I don't play around when it comes to something that's going into my mouth.  Please becareful with meat, food that you purchase.  It doesn't make sense to risk your health just to save a buck.

Wow I am surprised at these reviews...

We couldn't wait for an Aldi to open near us, we buy a lot of our canned veggies and frozen veggies there (if we don't have our own) and have no complaints about the quality, but we did notice that when we bought things like frozen broccoli it was mostly ALL florets, and what little stems there were (which I like BTW) where all tender and not woody, better than any we ever bought of birdseye or other name brands, I have recently bought there oatmeal and I think it is even better than quaker brand (most popular around here) there sides like those flavored noodle packs you know like angle hair pasta in a garlic herb sauce... more flavor than any name brand we ever had yet again,  we like there boxed mac and cheese better than Kraft, and they also have a cheese sauce one like valveeta brand  which we like better too, and this is a four person family, and we have all agreed on this,

I have never bought any meat there cause it is usually frozen and I like to buy my meat fresh, altho the chicken products they carry there are usually tyson,

we rarely buy things like doritos and chips but yet again no problem with there quality, also their knock off cold cereals have all been just as good as name brand

What I was told b4 about Aldi is they distribute their own products, eliminating the middlemen in the whole procedure, which is what I was told keeps the price low, I think they also have their own trucking, "dark horse"  trucking, one of their main distributors is about 8 or 10 miles from my house

I just looked through our pantry for their products from canned foods to boxed Mac and Cheese all made in Batavia IL. which If I am not mistaken was where all of the "generic" products big in the late 70's early 80's were made and distributed

a few nights ago  we had  breaded fish fillets, broccoli, and a noodle side dish from there and when we tallied it all up we fed 4 people for a little more than $5.00 and we all though it was good

Sorry bout all of your bad experiences but here in western Pa we love Aldi!....

Reactions: johninpa
My neighbor goes there all the time for produce. I haven't but know several folks who love the place. Publix is my fav. Aldi's here is cash or debit only. Keeps me away....check writer or CCard User.

We have an Aldis here. Some things we like some we don't. Thier spirial hams are good.

BillMc

A little more on Aldi....
My neighbor is a shut in, and I've taken her there a few times to shop, below is what I've noticed.
I wouldn't mention the word Aldi anywhere near her anymore....LOL
She had very bad luck with Aldi stuff over the holidays. (a couple years ago)
She baked a ham from there that literally turned into a cinder because, I think, it had too much added sugar. She actually baked it 25 degrees less than what was recommended because it started to turn black early on, she's no cooking novice and I know that her oven is properly calibrated because she bakes cakes all the time for extra income and always uses an oven thermometer.
She was making something with their cottage cheese that required heating the cottage cheese, it all turned to liquid!!!
Oh, and she bought dog biscuits there that were full of little black bugs...all this between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Anyway...
Carbon Monoxide treated fresh meat!
Underweight eggs with the occasional bloody yolk!
Un-graded solution soaked frozen chickens!
Xanathan gum thickened cottage cheese!
Chinese frozen fish!
All around crappy low quality food products!!
The general merchandise they sell is ALL Chinese garbage!!!!
The sugar is inferior beet sugar, the flour is inferior as well.
The sour cream was runny,the runniest I've ever seen.
The ham is LOADED with sugar - the equivalent of of almost 1 and 2/3 tablespoons of sugar per pound.
In the produce section, the cauliflower and onions were covered with aspergillus niger (black mold).
Package sizes are often not standard - Frozen broccoli at Aldi is .99 for 12 ounces while the frozen broccoli at the predominant grocery store in this area is .99 for 16 ounces - tricking many people who don't watch package sizes closely into thinking they're getting a better deal.
Many of the frozen foods are freezer burned, or loaded with ice crystals!
Yet, there are many folks who swear by it!!! I don't get it!!!
~Martin

I forgot to mention the Cornish game hens that she (my neighbor) got there, they weren't cleaned or bled out properly (they still had the esophagus, trachea, crop and lungs in them) and the sardines had a disgusting roe the texture of sand!!!! Yuck!

~Martin

Last edited:
Do any of you have this chain in your area?
Do you ever shop there?
Do they have good prices and good products?
So jealous. 

I wish we had one in my area. I got hooked on it when I lived in Missouri and was a poor single grad student. Had been there occasionally before when I lived in the dorms in undergrad, but really didn't try everything (meat, produce) till I lived in a house full of guys and we grilled 3-5 times a week.

Nearly every grocery trip until I moved back to Colorado was there. They don't have a lot of selection (almost like a poor man's Costco - only one option for each item, not packed in bulk, but cheap enough that you buy in bulk quantities). 

I would spend about 1/3-1/2 of what I did at the supermarket. Still had to go to a bigger store for specialty items, but not all that often. Never had anything that was rotten or made us sick. Sometimes a tube of saltines would have come unglued, but it was still cheaper even if you only got 3 tubes rather than 4 out of a box. 

Aldi's is the only thing we miss from Missouri. Whenever we go out there to visit family we load up on canned goods. Just spent $80 at Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law thought it was the funniest thing ever. She doesn't shop there much because they used to many years ago when fresh items were a bit iffy. Saved about $100 compared to prices out here. 

I would just stick with the simpler items. More seasoned and processed stuff (ie - cookies) can taste significantly different that the "normal" stuff. I probably would not do meat or produce anymore since I buy meat directly from the source and have a garden.

Name brand stuff is usually approaching the sell-by date, so just keep an eye on it.

Make sure to bring a quarter for the carts and bags. They take cash, debit, and Discover. They tend to "break-into" new markets through extremely low income areas, so generally best to try it first in the daylight. :)

You are very blessed.

(My wife missed it so much we considered trying to open one here so that we could shop there more than 2x a year!)

I haven't seen one here in southern CA, but there's one in Bartlesville , OK.  I would shop at a couple times a year to stock up on canned goods and dry goods.  Like the others have said it's their own private label stuff but we didn't have a problem with that.  I did notice a few extra stems in the green beans compared to the name brand but other than that no complaints.

We have them all over the place near Atlanta.  I agree with the comments that some items are better than others, but there are a lot of items we have found taste the same as the local Kroger and Publix products.  I have not tried their "fresh" meats, as I did not really like the look of them.  But they do have some decent frozen products.  It's sort of hit and miss until you figure out what tastes good vs what just does not.  After that you can save a good bit by shopping there, but if it was the only store in town I would be very unhappy.

My take is Aldi is good for some items and not good for others.  But we do shop there regularly.

I forgot to mention the Cornish game hens that she (my neighbor) got there, they weren't cleaned or bled out properly (they still had the esophagus, trachea, crop and lungs in them) and the sardines had a disgusting roe the texture of sand!!!! Yuck!
~Martin
Thats weird Martin every  kind of chicken or hens I ever bought there in my area has been tyson products, the same you would get at any store

Based on the comments I've read, it sounds like the quality factor at Aldi is highly regionalized. We've had them in michigan since around 2005 and the overall experience had been good. To echo other posts, use aldi to stock up on your pantry and baking supplies. Also milk eggs creamer etc. are very competitively priced on a weekly basis. It's great for stocking up on party snacks too. Just be sure to go when you have an hour to investigate, there are a lot of good things, but some stuff is junk (avoid the meat and produce). Either way you look at it, it feels good to cash out with your cart almost full and the bill is only $45!

We have one in the area and i rarely shop there. Once a year i stop for cashews for cashew brittle my wife makes around this time of the year and i haven't found a better price on nuts than Aldi's. Their mixed nuts are very reasonably priced and i have used them for smoked nuts many times with great success. I have bought the dollar a bag chips there and thought the round tortilla chips a great deal. Can't say i have tried the meat or canned goods but after the reviews i may stay away from the meat and try a few of the canned goods. Maybe the next time i stop i will spend a little time looking around a bit more and see what Aldi's has to offer. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky