Another turkey temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mark-ct

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Connecticut
I am going to smoke a 13 lbs. turkey on my traeger this year using your maple turkey recipe and pecan pellets. I love using your rub but have not used it with a sweet base like maple surup. This year I'm going to spatchcock it, remove the legs and place it in a foil pan with some carrots, onion and celery.
Can I go at a higher temp to get crispy skin and still use the maple rub or use the rub with a different base and glaze it near the end? Will smoked turkey even get crispy skin? I have done mostly beef and pork recipes and only a few chickens but at a higher temp since traeger can get close to 400 degrees. I wanted to use the maple rub on and under the skin so that the meat gets the maple flavor too. Any suggestions would sure help.
I do have another turkey that's going in the oven so this one is just a treat for everyone to take some home with them (except the skin if it's edible)

Basically I want to use Smokinal's technique with your recipe.

Last edited:
You can get crispy skin with a temp of 350F. I typically smoke my birds at 250F to 275F on my MES40. The top temp on my MES40 is 275F so, to crisp the skin I place the smoked bird in an oven at 425F for about 5-7 minutes. I watch for the skin to sizzle and then let it sizzle for at least a couple of minutes.

I'm just wondering if I can use his maple syrup rub at that high temp to get the crispy skin but nut burn it. The smoke time should be about 3 plus hours

No problem. Your temps still help me since I haven't smoked many turkeys. Actually this will only be my second.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky