Another turkey temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mark-ct

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Connecticut
I am going to smoke a 13 lbs. turkey on my traeger this year using your maple turkey recipe and pecan pellets. I love using your rub but have not used it with a sweet base like maple surup. This year I'm going to spatchcock it, remove the legs and place it in a foil pan with some carrots, onion and celery.
Can I go at a higher temp to get crispy skin and still use the maple rub or use the rub with a different base and glaze it near the end? Will smoked turkey even get crispy skin? I have done mostly beef and pork recipes and only a few chickens but at a higher temp since traeger can get close to 400 degrees. I wanted to use the maple rub on and under the skin so that the meat gets the maple flavor too. Any suggestions would sure help.
I do have another turkey that's going in the oven so this one is just a treat for everyone to take some home with them (except the skin if it's edible)

Basically I want to use Smokinal's technique with your recipe.

Last edited:
You can get crispy skin with a temp of 350F. I typically smoke my birds at 250F to 275F on my MES40. The top temp on my MES40 is 275F so, to crisp the skin I place the smoked bird in an oven at 425F for about 5-7 minutes. I watch for the skin to sizzle and then let it sizzle for at least a couple of minutes.

I'm just wondering if I can use his maple syrup rub at that high temp to get the crispy skin but nut burn it. The smoke time should be about 3 plus hours

No problem. Your temps still help me since I haven't smoked many turkeys. Actually this will only be my second.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky