Another smoker arrives. MES30 Digital, I think I am finally done all the mods, it's AWESOME!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
I just couldn’t resist getting the digital version of my MES30 smoker. It’s used but in good condition and everything works. I gave it a quick wipe down inside with the vinegar wash, wash the outside and I’m soaking the racks and rack holders in the sink. I’m putting it through its paces now had it up to 320°, I sure love these insulated versions, it was up to 200° in less than five minutes amazing. I’m tracking the temperature now with my external probe and giving it some smoke to re-season the inside walls. This is the version with 6 rack holders, exactly what I was looking for.

Ultimately, I probably will put a P ID on it, it’s only trouble right now, of course is it over shoots, but for most scenarios that’s not a problem. I have wild thoughts of stacking this with my analogue MES30 for dual chamber smoking. I have a few options to consider.

Just thought I’d let you know to make one more space available in the asylum.

Cheers

1690945717623.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, this is very weird, I was standing on the deck, talking to my neighbor, and I caught a whiff of the pellets I’m burning in the smoker to re-season it, and it was amazing how crystal clear it was that it was cherry. Even the smoker makes pellets smell like the real thing. Cool beans.

Now I know why you guys like these insulated smokers, so much. It’s going to make a huge difference and I can hardly wait to try my first brisket in it. My analogue could barely get to 200°.

Cheers

Reactions: JLeonard
OK, I think I must have the cleanest least corroded most mint like junction box on the bottom of my smoker. The damn thing is like brand new inside. Perfect connectors, no corrosion amazing. I soldered a couple of male tabs together to join the heating element to the line cord and I’m probably going to install a toggle switch on the back so that I can either have PID control or use the internal timer/temperature controller.

It shot up to 130, my setpoint on the PID and it is held rocksolid for the last half hour. I have two paving stones inside for thermal mass. I’ll post a graph a little bit later on after it’s had time, although it’s just going to be a straight line at 130, and then I’ll bump it up to 180, and then 225°. I love this little smoker, I can hardly wait for my first brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, bacon, sausage, snack sticks, will the list ever end?

Cheers

PS this is with the chip tube pulled out 1/2” and side vent wide open (not very big).

1691025963647.jpeg

1691025985457.jpeg

Last edited:
Bloody internet has been up and down more times than a toilet seat at a geriatric clinic....

But I managed to collect some data. Damn this thing is good, well of course my PID tuning is ok as well. I'm very happy with this.

Temps were 130, 190, 260 and 300*, I'm happy with that.

More later, I'll track the cool cycle...if the internet stays up long enough.

cheers

ignore the meat temp heading, it's my meat probe I'm testing with

new mes with PID_Page_3.jpg

Attachments

• new mes with PID_Page_3.jpg
    new mes with PID_Page_3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: tallbm
I I picked up another aluminum elbow this afternoon and have the toolbox hooked up to the new MES30 digital smoker. This is the version that has the chip loader on the right side and the exhaust port on the left side near the top, the little silver disc, which you can adjust the opening. Wondering if this version would best be modified by putting the stack on the top and closing that side vent? This is also the one with the funny, sloping heat diffuser and drip tray on the left heating element on the right.

I’m just testing it as is smoking some chicken, wings and thighs. I have the PID set for 120 and it’s now pulling the smoke through from the toolbox into the smoker. I’ll leave it like this for a few hours and then finish them on the pellet smoker to crisp everything up.

If I understand the various versions, I’m guessing this is generation two, the model number is20071414. Bass pro sportsman elite.

Cheers

1691198531422.jpeg

1691198560152.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
I I picked up another aluminum elbow this afternoon and have the toolbox hooked up to the new MES30 digital smoker. This is the version that has the chip loader on the right side and the exhaust port on the left side near the top, the little silver disc, which you can adjust the opening. Wondering if this version would best be modified by putting the stack on the top and closing that side vent? This is also the one with the funny, sloping heat diffuser and drip tray on the left heating element on the right.

I’m just testing it as is smoking some chicken, wings and thighs. I have the PID set for 120 and it’s now pulling the smoke through from the toolbox into the smoker. I’ll leave it like this for a few hours and then finish them on the pellet smoker to crisp everything up.

If I understand the various versions, I’m guessing this is generation two, the model number is20071414. Bass pro sportsman elite.

Cheers

View attachment 672633

View attachment 672634
Yes on everything.

Can anybody tell me where the wires go to come up to the front panel? Do they come up the side or across the top, if they come across the top do they come across the centre or off to one side? I don’t want to put a 2 inch hole in the top and sever all the wires to the front panel.

Thanks!

It’s sausage fest this weekend here planning on putting about 10-15 pounds through the smokers.

Can anybody tell me where the wires go to come up to the front panel? Do they come up the side or across the top, if they come across the top do they come across the centre or off to one side? I don’t want to put a 2 inch hole in the top and sever all the wires to the front panel.

Thanks!

It’s sausage fest this weekend here planning on putting about 10-15 pounds through the smokers.
tallbm tallbm is the resident MES guru.

Reactions: kilohertz

Thanks!

hahaha glad to see you doing an insulated digital MES. I see a free curbside special MES40 in your future as well :D

The wires run from the circuit board usually up and towards the safety limit switch area of the smoker (under the foam insulation or on the back outside of it), then on a Gen 2 unit like that I think they cross over to the front right corner of the controller but not 100% sure. If you dare to try and pull that controller off you should find the connector for it and it will give you a better idea BUT you may be opening a can of works in doing so.

One other thing, the safety limit switch should be a 302F switch so when you push to 300F you may be on the bleeding edge of it's limit to cut power to your heating element. You might consider replacing the existing safety limit switch with one that goes closer to 350F, HOWEVER I would recommend you never go over 325F smoker temp and never more than 4 hours.
That temp and time duration comes from my personal experience with my MES unit(s) and doing chicken and turkeys and never having an issue. Also the foam insulation is not rated to have a working temperature much higher than 300F or the temps I'm suggesting for very long so no sense in trying to push it (best I can tell from my research and foam insulation limits in general).

Enjoy that unit, it will be good... until you need a bigger MES40 to fit more sausage, bacon, whole briskets, etc. :D

Cool, thank you for the detailed reply. Ya a free curbside 40 would be nice, I paid $100 for this one but it was the exact model I was unable to find new in my area and it was in good condition and came with 4 new bags of chips.

My front control panel looks like it is just held on with 2 screws so I may just pop the screws ans see where the wires come into it.

I don't need this to go much over 275* as I have a Kamado, a PB820, WSM and an offset stick for higher temp smokes. This one will be used mainly for sausages and bacon where we need good temp control and cold smoking. I'm certainly going to try a brisket (part of one :-) ) on it, maybe a butt as well, seems perfect for those type smokes.

I smoked some wings on it at 120* then finished on the pellet smoker at 350*, I think it is the low temp smoke that made the skin rubbery. I'll stick with my pellet for chicken.

Thanks for the help, I'll update after I do some investigation on it. I still have 2 stainless stacks in inventory.

cheers

Cool, thank you for the detailed reply. Ya a free curbside 40 would be nice, I paid $100 for this one but it was the exact model I was unable to find new in my area and it was in good condition and came with 4 new bags of chips.

My front control panel looks like it is just held on with 2 screws so I may just pop the screws ans see where the wires come into it.

I don't need this to go much over 275* as I have a Kamado, a PB820, WSM and an offset stick for higher temp smokes. This one will be used mainly for sausages and bacon where we need good temp control and cold smoking. I'm certainly going to try a brisket (part of one :-) ) on it, maybe a butt as well, seems perfect for those type smokes.

I smoked some wings on it at 120* then finished on the pellet smoker at 350*, I think it is the low temp smoke that made the skin rubbery. I'll stick with my pellet for chicken.

Thanks for the help, I'll update after I do some investigation on it. I still have 2 stainless stacks in inventory.

cheers

Nice!

Yeah the poultry skin issue. It just simply needs high enough temps for a long enough time. Getting those wings started at 120F probably warmed them too much to get enough time in the 350F heat before they were over done.
You would need to go screaming hot on the pellet grill if attempting this again, or simply cold smoke the wings for a while then completely cook on the pellet grill.

Oh the skin battles... lol.

I was also thinking that I had leg quarters in there at the same time and with that tiny little slot vent on the top left, was probably holding a lot of moisture, high humidity as a result.

I'm heading to the shop to get the hole saw, one new stainless smokestack coming up. Also realized this is the "dreaded" GEN 2.0 smoker that bear wasn't impressed with a few years back. It shouldn't be too hard to even out the heat in this, get rid of the sloping drip plate and put in an aluminum tray, gives me something to do this afternoon. Also need to get my next snack stick batch made and into the fridge so I can smoke them tomorrow.

Cheers

Last edited:
All done.

Now I know why these hold their heat so well, 2" of foam insulation on the top, 1" on the sides/back. The wires from the front panel run about 4" from the right side straight to the back, I wiggled the wire and could hear it at the back panel. I cut the hole 5" from side and back, sealed with high temp RTV which hopefully will be cured in a few hours.

I pulled the slanted heat shield and water pot and put a perforated aluminum tray upside down on the bottom rack, it should collect the heat and disperse evenly through the slots, at least that's my theory. I trimmed the 3" elbow to fit better into the chip loader hole and put an insulator under the toolbox.

Ready to try again.

More later.

Cheers

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5297.JPEG

IMG_5300.JPEG

IMG_5299.JPG

IMG_5303.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5301.JPG

Reactions: 02ebz06
All done.

Now I know why these hold their heat so well, 2" of foam insulation on the top, 1" on the sides/back. The wires from the front panel run about 4" from the right side straight to the back, I wiggled the wire and could hear it at the back panel. I cut the hole 5" from side and back, sealed with high temp RTV which hopefully will be cured in a few hours.

I pulled the slanted heat shield and water pot and put a perforated aluminum tray upside down on the bottom rack, it should collect the heat and disperse evenly through the slots, at least that's my theory. I trimmed the 3" elbow to fit better into the chip loader hole and put an insulator under the toolbox.

Ready to try again.

More later.

Cheers

View attachment 672714

View attachment 672713

View attachment 672712

View attachment 672716

View attachment 672718

View attachment 672717

View attachment 672715
heck yeah man, lookin good!

I had a gen 2 that I gave to my mother. I removed all the stuff and left a bare heating element so that helped with the weirdness of where heat was going and made it more predictable. Just gotta make sure there's a foil pan on the lowest rack to protect the element but I basically always cook with a pan unless it's just smoking chicken breast or stuff that isn't messy.

You using the 5 inch sheet metal to cover over the old vent hole from the inside?

Also you are doing the mailbox mod to this as well correct? If so you are about to LOVE this thing. PID + Mailbox Mod on a digital MES.... you have a great setup going man! :D

heck yeah man, lookin good!

I had a gen 2 that I gave to my mother. I removed all the stuff and left a bare heating element so that helped with the weirdness of where heat was going and made it more predictable. Just gotta make sure there's a foil pan on the lowest rack to protect the element but I basically always cook with a pan unless it's just smoking chicken breast or stuff that isn't messy.

You using the 5 inch sheet metal to cover over the old vent hole from the inside?

Also you are doing the mailbox mod to this as well correct? If so you are about to LOVE this thing. PID + Mailbox Mod on a digital MES.... you have a great setup going man! :D
Thanks!

Yes, tool box mod for me, mail box was $40, tool box, free. You can see the new digital smoker in front.

Okay, that could explain why I wasn't getting good draft last night from the toolbox into the smoker. Where is this intake vent? I haven't seen it, mind you I haven't got on my hands and knees to look under the element sheet metal. I want the chip loader to be my only air intake. I'll go look again. I cover the foil drip pan on the bottom completely with tin foil. (unless the intake vent IS the chip loader hole??)

Cheers

IMG_5295.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky