Another smoker arrives. MES30 Digital, I think I am finally done all the mods, it's AWESOME!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks!

Yes, tool box mod for me, mail box was $40, tool box, free. You can see the new digital smoker in front.

Okay, that could explain why I wasn't getting good draft last night from the toolbox into the smoker. Where is this intake vent? I haven't seen it, mind you I haven't got on my hands and knees to look under the element sheet metal. I want the chip loader to be my only air intake. I'll go look again. I cover the foil drip pan on the bottom completely with tin foil. (unless the intake vent IS the chip loader hole??)

Cheers

View attachment 672722
I was meaning cover up this hole now that you have the stack on top:
1691297948976.png

Your chip loader is the only real intake but with the old vent (see green arrow) and the new stack you might have intake issues... maybe?

The drain hole is under the foiled drip pan and at the back. there could be some intake from there but its low and minimal so don't think it's an issue.

It's all lookin good though!

Reactions: kilohertz
I was meaning cover up this hole now that you have the stack on top:
View attachment 672726

Your chip loader is the only real intake but with the old vent (see green arrow) and the new stack you might have intake issues... maybe?

The drain hole is under the foiled drip pan and at the back. there could be some intake from there but its low and minimal so don't think it's an issue.

It's all lookin good though!
I'm keeping that port available for probe cable entry, plugged the bottom drain hole...smoked 2 test pepperoni sausages tonight and everything tracked within 3 degrees, side to side and to the PID sensor. PID K thermocouple is slow to respond so tomorrow I'm building a copper spreader bar with a copper plate to speed up the response. I'll post results.

cheers

Reactions: tallbm and 02ebz06
I finished the last of the mods I am going to make to this smoker...for now...

I machined a brass rod then threaded it to accept the Type K thermocouple I am using. I machined a flat onto the rod and soldered it to a copper sheet. Copper is an excellent thermal conductor and the response now is very fast on this t-couple. It tracks right along with the meat probes I have within 1* and within 10 seconds of each other, very cool. The naked t-couple was slow and as a result the temp would overshoot, not on the PID controller but in real time readings on the meat probe. The PID thought it was spot on but in fact the real temp was way higher, on the ramp up heating cycle. Now it tracks very well and only overshoots a few degrees, I'm happy.

Going to a local farm to get some Jalepenoes to smoke this afternoon, that and the snack sticks will be a good test.

More later.

Cheers

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5307.jpeg

IMG_5310.jpeg

I finished the last of the mods I am going to make to this smoker...for now...

I machined a brass rod then threaded it to accept the Type K thermocouple I am using. I machined a flat onto the rod and soldered it to a copper sheet. Copper is an excellent thermal conductor and the response now is very fast on this t-couple. It tracks right along with the meat probes I have within 1* and within 10 seconds of each other, very cool. The naked t-couple was slow and as a result the temp would overshoot, not on the PID controller but in real time readings on the meat probe. The PID thought it was spot on but in fact the real temp was way higher, on the ramp up heating cycle. Now it tracks very well and only overshoots a few degrees, I'm happy.

Going to a local farm to get some Jalepenoes to smoke this afternoon, that and the snack sticks will be a good test.

More later.

Cheers

View attachment 672767

View attachment 672766

View attachment 672768
Look in good man! You basically have it whipped now :D

Reactions: kilohertz
All done.

Now I know why these hold their heat so well, 2" of foam insulation on the top, 1" on the sides/back. The wires from the front panel run about 4" from the right side straight to the back, I wiggled the wire and could hear it at the back panel. I cut the hole 5" from side and back, sealed with high temp RTV which hopefully will be cured in a few hours.

View attachment 672718
Where did you get that exhaust stack to put on top? All I can seem to find recently is a black iron one without the hat looking part. :-D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky