Another decent superhot pick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Picked a few today. Ghost are really coming on strong. They were the last to start turning. Scorpion, red hab and chocolate habanero producing well still. Picked a few white coyote too. The coyote is an amazing fruity flavor hot pepper with heat like an habanero. TR h y look a lot whiter than th pic reflects .I'll make more room for to have several of them next year. I am picking now sooner that I would earlier in the year. I'll likely pick anything close to ripe next week and th n pick everything green after that. I love having green superhots to crank up the heat in green sauces.
1000005391-01.jpeg

I like some spicy stuff but not so sure I want anything that requires hazmat gear to process lol. Good luck!

Reactions: jcam222
My goodness . Nice haul .
Amazing fruity flavor from some of the super hots when used in the right amounts .
Have you checked GFS for bottles ?

Wow Jeff, you've gotten quite the bounty from the garden. Pretty awesome buddy. You are gonna be turning out some fantastic stuff, I'm certain of it.

Robert

Jeff, do you ferment to a flavor profile or to a PH profile?

Some of the instructions I have read say that, depending on the temperature (it is warm here and my peppers began bubbling in one day), hot peppers should be fermented 2 to 3 weeks. I wonder what your thoughts are on this?

I'm sweating just looking at those.
No doubt eating them creates uncontrollable sweat! I don't eat any of them straight lol
Dang cam those look killer. Good work
Thanks!
I like some spicy stuff but not so sure I want anything that requires hazmat gear to process lol. Good luck!
I have a 90% scorpion ferment going. I plan on wearing goggles, a mask and double gloves while processing it outside!
Nice harvest Jeff
I'm hoping to get some ripened Datil peppers, but not holding my breath
Datils sound awesome!
Really nice haul Jeff. You'll be doing some lightning in a bottle with that!
Thanks Steve! The amount of peppers I have frozen now is insane

You have a Pepper Paradise, for sure

David
It's been nice for sure as well as a friend who's given me literally bushel of jalapeno, serrano and banana peppers as well.
My goodness . Nice haul .
Amazing fruity flavor from some of the super hots when used in the right amounts .
Have you checked GFS for bottles ?
I have not looked there for bottles but haven't noticed them. Usually get from Amazon although my last two shipments were damaged.
Wow Jeff, you've gotten quite the bounty from the garden. Pretty awesome buddy. You are gonna be turning out some fantastic stuff, I'm certain of it.

Robert
My little raised bed and straw bales have produced well beyond anything I expected. I have 3 tomato plants in two straw bales they have produced more tomatoes than I can use. They got to about 6 foot tall and circumference wide are bigger than the bales.
Got me looking for another Prilosec......But I bet its gonna make some killer sauce.

Jim
Let's hope!

Jeff, do you ferment to a flavor profile or to a PH profile?

Some of the instructions I have read say that, depending on the temperature (it is warm here and my peppers began bubbling in one day), hot peppers should be fermented 2 to 3 weeks. I wonder what your thoughts are on this?
I usually go a minimum of 3 weeks. At 3 weeks most of my ferments are 3.4 or lower. If you want a less "funky" flavor you could test PH at 2 weeks. While technically you need to be lower than 4.6 most folks recommend below 3.6 for home amateur batches. If you go longer in the 2 months or more range you start to get more complex flavors. Some folks go a year or more. I'm too impatient so far lol.

I usually go a minimum of 3 weeks. At 3 weeks most of my ferments are 3.4 or lower. If you want a less "funky" flavor you could test PH at 2 weeks. While technically you need to be lower than 4.6 most folks recommend below 3.6 for home amateur batches. If you go longer in the 2 months or more range you start to get more complex flavors. Some folks go a year or more. I'm too impatient so far lol.
Thank you, sir.

Looks great! Those coyote sounds killer. I like that fruity hot thing. You got enough going on now that I bet you end up getting some age on some. That's the trick. Just keep making them then all of sudden you got enough to do it. Most guys do one batch and stare at it for 3 weeks LOL I remember being blown away with guys with 5YO smoked cheese but here I am now... In brewing the lacto beers the funk starts to develop fruity notes as they age longer but not sure this happens in hot sauce as no alcohol (esterification).

Looks great! Those coyote sounds killer. I like that fruity hot thing. You got enough going on now that I bet you end up getting some age on some. That's the trick. Just keep making them then all of sudden you got enough to do it. Most guys do one batch and stare at it for 3 weeks LOL I remember being blown away with guys with 5YO smoked cheese but here I am now... In brewing the lacto beers the funk starts to develop fruity notes as they age longer but not sure this happens in hot sauce as no alcohol (esterification).
That's exactly what I've read on hot sauce. Longer ferment ends up with more fruity notes. I actually do have a green sauce that's 2 years old. I'll have to check it's PH. I threw some older ones out as I wasn't sure the PH was safe.

Reactions: zwiller
That's exactly what I've read on hot sauce. Longer ferment ends up with more fruity notes. I actually do have a green sauce that's 2 years old. I'll have to check it's PH. I threw some older ones out as I wasn't sure the PH was safe.
Do you start your super hots from seeds or purchase seedlings?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky