AMNPS tray ran out too fast Pit Boss pellets to blame?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
First time this happened and it might be the pellet I am using (first time using Pit Boss Hickory). Did a 12 hour PP run and had to refill 3x. First 2 times I added some crushed charcoal and thought that was the issue but 3rd time no charcoal and same issue. They seemed to light a little too easy. Not overfilling. Also, seemed a little weak on wood smell for hickory.

Using Todds pellet's I haven't experienced that. Did you overfill and possibly jump rows? They say they're all natural hardwood. Wonder what gives. Maybe just a bad bag.

Chris

Reactions: zwiller
I've been having the opposite problem with my AMZN tube. It keeps going out. I'm using the Cookin' Pellets Hickory pellets I got on Amazon. I used the Perfect Blend ones before and they were great. These pure Hickory ones go out for me.

First time this happened and it might be the pellet I am using (first time using Pit Boss Hickory). Did a 12 hour PP run and had to refill 3x. First 2 times I added some crushed charcoal and thought that was the issue but 3rd time no charcoal and same issue. They seemed to light a little too easy. Not overfilling. Also, seemed a little weak on wood smell for hickory.

Well a few things could be going on here.

1. If you happened to have a flame up then all of the pellets would/could catch fire and burn up real quick. It happens every now and again.

2. if you refilled over existing burned down pellet cherries... well they will continue to completely burn up super quickly. I tell you this from experience :)

3. If you fill and light the AMNPS sometimes the the 2nd row can begin to catch from the bottom. If this happens and is not rectified then you can/will end up with basically all 3 rows burning at once.
Row 1 burning because you lit it.
Row 2 burning because flame creeped under from a strong flame while lighting row 1.
Row 3 burning because if Row 2 catches and starts burning, well it burns in both directions. Up row 2 and around the bend and up row 3.

I too ran into an AMNPS burn issue last night. It was all my fault.
The first thing I did wrong was I microwaved 100% Mesquite pellets 3 times (rather than 2) because I had some different pellets not burn all the way through on my last smoke so I went for overkill this time.
Well 100% Mesquite pellets burn hotter and better than most other pellets and don't need so much babying.
When I lit row 1, a little of row 2 seemed to catch some flame. I remove the pellets quickly but not thoroughly.
After about 3 1/2 hours I went to check and saw no smoke and looked to find all 3 rows burned out.
I believe that I fix row 2 thoroughly enough when it caught a little fire and the result turned into all 3 rows burning at once lol.

I EMPTIED the cherries and ash, refilled, and tried again (only 2 microwave cycles) and everything ran perfectly.

It happens :)

As for Pit Boss Hickory being week, I've never used it but I use the Competition Blend and like it. I can tell you that PB Hickory is probably no more than 25-30% hickory and likely all Oak, Maple, or Alder for the rest :(

Lumberjack Hickory or Perfect Pellet Hickory will be two perfect examples of good 100% Hickory pellets.

I hope this long post of info helps :)

burning pellets too fast is usually due to 2 causes - too much active airflow which stokes the pellets (and can cause an active fire), or the pellets being too close to the heating element which will do the same as above.

I've been having the opposite problem with my AMZN tube. It keeps going out. I'm using the Cookin' Pellets Hickory pellets I got on Amazon. I used the Perfect Blend ones before and they were great. These pure Hickory ones go out for

I use the tubes but with the ubolt mod.When preheating my smoker I throw a foil tray full of pellets in to rid them of any moisture.Moisture(lack there of) and airflow are key.

You guys are already pretty much spot on already. Smoke was hot and fast PP @ 275F. Tray was directly over element but switched that when refilling 2nd time. Loader was removed. I like it out. Can I throttle air fuel mix with closing vent? Been running it removed for last 4-5 smokes and no issue. Maybe a little of all of the above... Is ambient air temp a factor? Just got the MES and only used the MES during winter. After looking at the smoker, it does look like it caught fire actually. I will do some testing and see but not really impressed with the pellets as I've run hickory before and it was pretty mild smelling to me. Doubt the pellets were "cut" with oak, I know that smell well. I bet it was alder or junk. Order from Todd pending...

A fan or wind also might help flare them up. I've had mine flare up just cold smoking. Due to the air blowing around in my smoker I think. It's not a sealed one. I put a shield over mine so it can't really burn that easy.

You guys are already pretty much spot on already. Smoke was hot and fast PP @ 275F. Tray was directly over element but switched that when refilling 2nd time. Loader was removed. I like it out. Can I throttle air fuel mix with closing vent? Been running it removed for last 4-5 smokes and no issue. Maybe a little of all of the above... Is ambient air temp a factor? Just got the MES and only used the MES during winter. After looking at the smoker, it does look like it caught fire actually. I will do some testing and see but not really impressed with the pellets as I've run hickory before and it was pretty mild smelling to me. Doubt the pellets were "cut" with oak, I know that smell well. I bet it was alder or junk. Order from Todd pending...

I've read in the past where people throttle the air INTAKE by leaving the chip loader in but pulling it out to varying degrees. This may work for you :)

One other question I asked about, ambient temps. I read in a cheese smoking thread that another member had issues keeping pellets lit in cold weather due to cold air/low air flow so I assume warmer temps have more flow? Just got my MES this winter...

Once the smoker is up to operating temp, the air flow should be constant regardless of the ambient temp, as long as the vent positions are the same as previous....

Ran some Traeger Texas Beef on some chicken this past weekend and had a heck of a time keeping it lit the way I had setup previously for the PB pellets. Went back to my old way with AMNPS over element/near chip loader/loader out and all was fine. Was also at least 3x harder to light than the PB pellets. Will do some more testing but that is a definite strike against the PB stuff. Ordered a bunch of pellets from Todd with Mother's Day sale.

Do you dehumidify your pellets in the microwave or elsewhere before using them?
Also, you can always go with a mailbox mod if you can't get things to cooperate :)

No, not nuking. Not complaining about it but it is just noticeably different between PB and my other stuff. Cob pellets light pretty easy and I swear the PB pellets light even easier than them.

I think traeger uses a lot of alder as their wood base. Some woods are tougher than others to light and keep light, just try 100% cherry lol. I noticed that 100% Mesquite usually keeps burning very well. I have to watch over drying it actually. It's all funny stuff.

Don't quote me on this but I believe Todd's pellets come from the Lumberjack facility and if so you would be getting 100% of the wood you are buying (unless stated otherwise) and the quality would definitely be there. Everyone who uses Todd's pellets had nothing but positive things to say about the quality of them.

Let us know how it all turns out!

A lot of good reasons above, however the one least expected is the one Chris mentioned:

If you fill it too full, it can jump across rows & burn out in a hurry.
The closer to the top of the inner walls, the closer the pellets in each row get to each other.

I fill mine to about 1/4" to 3/8" from the top. That keeps them a good enough distance from each other.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky