Red's Baby Back Ribs on the New Reverse Flow Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Happy Sunday Evening Friends!

As those who've followed my build thread know, I just finished a build on Reverse Flow Smoker. If you're interested, here's the link to that build thread:

Anyway, I cooked a rack of BB ribs today - first cook in the new pit. Nothing groundbreaking about the cook, but I promised I'd post the maiden cook on the new smoker. So here's the Q-view!

A single rack of BBs. Cooking for just Mrs. Red and me today. All rubbed up with my favorite apple rub.

img200.jpg

Got a nice coal bed going, and a couple splits of hickory to get the pit up to temp. Already got some thin blue smoke rolling!

img202.jpg

Took maybe 30-45 minutes to get her up to temp...then on with the ribs.

img203.jpg

The door therm is pretty much right in the center of the cook chamber...and settled in at just over 250*. Early impression is, this pit's sweet spot will be 240-275*. That's mostly where I like to cook, so I'm happy with that.

img204.jpg

I placed 3 of my InkBird probes in the pit...just to get a feel for temps variances across grates from left-to-right and top-to-bottom. On this run, it seemed that the temps were a little hotter in the lower right, and a little cooler in the upper left. Over the course of the cook the temp variance ran mostly 20-40 degrees.

I did foil the ribs after the first 2 1/2 hours...no pics of that step. Total cook time was just about 4 hours. Here's a shot of the rested rack just before cutting them up.

img207.jpg

My plate...4 bones for me, with a helping of Mrs. Red's baked beans.

img208.jpg

It's important to always make a happy plate! :emoji_wink:

img209.jpg

These were delicious, but a bit too FOTB for me - although that's how Mrs. Red likes 'em. A successful first cook in the new pit, but I'll adjust cooking times next time I do BBs for a little less FOTB.

Thanks for checkin it out!

Cheers!
Red

Last edited:
Very nice Red! That is a nice looking pit! There is a huge benefit to running it at its sweet spot is din din happens sooner! Enjoy the crap out of it!

Reactions: seenred
Looks great Red! Glad to see the maiden cook on the new pit. Enjoyed the build series, impressive work!

Very nice Red! That is a nice looking pit! There is a huge benefit to running it at its sweet spot is din din happens sooner! Enjoy the crap out of it!

Thank you sir! You're right about cook time - those ribs definitely cooked faster than my usual method.

Nice Ribs! Look tasty!! Pit looks incredible, nice job!!!

Much appreciated!

Looks great Red! Glad to see the maiden cook on the new pit. Enjoyed the build series, impressive work!

Many thanks! It was a fun build, and I'm proud of how well it turned out.

Red

Reactions: civilsmoker
Way to go Red!! This has been quite the lengthy ordeal for you but I know the feeling of gratification....and expectation....of doing that first cook, Those ribs came out spectacularly my friend. Congrats on getting the smoker done and even more so for a perfect inaugural run.

Robert

Pit and ribs look great Red!

Thanks Brian!

Nice Red . Looks like it runs good .

Thanks buddy.

Way to go Red!! This has been quite the lengthy ordeal for you but I know the feeling of gratification....and expectation....of doing that first cook, Those ribs came out spectacularly my friend. Congrats on getting the smoker done and even more so for a perfect inaugural run.

Robert

Thanks Robert! Lol yeah it's taken me much longer to finish this than your last build. Closest I can remember, I cut the tank in half last July...so it's only taken me 14 months! Seems I recall your last build, you did it in 2 weeks? LOL I ain't real talented, but at least I'm slow!

Thanks for the kind words my friend!

Red

Geez that cooker is a total embarrassment!!! Just put it on a truck and send it to me for disposal!!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:
A great looking first cook and I think I'd be gnawing the bones! Mrs Red's beans look great also.

Jim

Geez that cooker is a total embarrassment!!! Just put it on a truck and send it to me for disposal!!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:
A great looking first cook and I think I'd be gnawing the bones! Mrs Red's beans look great also.

Jim

LOL Thanks Jim! It has occurred to me that I've now got more smokers and grills than I have room to store LOL! Right now, It's still taking up space in my shop...and since I'm already thinking about my next fabrication project, it'll have to go somewhere else soon.

I really didn't need this pit...but I've always wanted to see if I could build it. I'm thinking about "breaking it in"...then putting it up for sale.

Sooo...make me an offer and I WILL put it on a truck and send it to you :emoji_wink:

Oh, and Mrs. Red says thanks for the kind words about her beans!

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
WOW Red what a great way to breakin the new smoker. The ribs looks fantastic, and it's good to see I'm not the only one who likes their baked beans to have a thicker consistency. Is that salt pork in those beans? That's how my grandmother and mother taught us how to make them.

Point for sure
Chris

WOW Red what a great way to breakin the new smoker. The ribs looks fantastic, and it's good to see I'm not the only one who likes their baked beans to have a thicker consistency. Is that salt pork in those beans? That's how my grandmother and mother taught us how to make them.

Point for sure
Chris

Mrs. Red's beans are great! She likes to put salt pork in 'em, but all we had was thick cut bacon...which is a tasty substitute!

Thanks Chris!
Red

I'm with Chris, gmc2003 gmc2003 , I like my baked beans thick. I hate going to a BBQ place to eat and their beans are the consistancy of pork and beans!
And if could afford it....I might would take a road trip to OK to get it!
Jim

Reactions: seenred and gmc2003
I'm with Chris, gmc2003 gmc2003 , I like my baked beans thick. I hate going to a BBQ place to eat and their beans are the consistancy of pork and beans!
And if could afford it....I might would take a road trip to OK to get it!
Jim

Yep...Mrs. Red's beans ain't soupy! Just the way we like 'em.

Hey I've got a truck and a trailer...we could work something out where I bring it right to ya!

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky