Almost 9 years ago......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hagcel

Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Got pulled away from my offset smoker, when the doctor called and said, "You and your wife need to meet me at the hospital in 20 minutes, we need to induce labor, you're going to be a dad tonight."

Over 10 days in the NICU, I brought in smoked apple dumplings, nuts, and fruit salads (Seriously, smoke some apples, pineapple, grapes and slightly unripe melon, then chill and toss with a sweet yogurt dressing) to my wife and the nursing staff, drawing upon five years of experience with my rusty old barrel smoker.

When we moved back down from the mountains of Norcal to San Diego five years ago, and got our new house, I agreed to a small propane grill for ease of use and to adjust from our 44 acres to a small urban backyard.

The propane grill finally broke, I passed it on to a friend, and two weeks before fathers day, went out and got a new offset smoker, this time setting off on the adventure with my 8 year old son.

I'm far from a master smoker, but living in a diverse mountain rainforest, I know quite a bit about wood fire cooking and doing crazy things like smoking TriTip with wet fresh cut california bay, and two day old, uncured pear trimmings.

My best smoke ever? Kill and field strip 6 quail in your driveway with a bucket of pond crawdads in the back of your truck. Head, vein and shell the crawdads and make a stuffing with King Bolete Mushrooms and some stale french bread, seasoned with some onion flowers. Smoke with HIGH heat (I would build the fire in the main chamber, so it was almost grilling) using mesquite lump charcoal and wet 2"x2" bay branches (probably 350 degrees) for about 90 minutes. That was one amazing meal, and aside from the french bread was made from ingredients scavenged and hunted from our homestead and my job at a nature preserve a mile up the road.

Now, I'm down here in urban San Diego, have a new smoker and am working on using more commercially available woods and ingredients. I've smoked a TON of weird shit, and will definitely share my methods. But I've never successfully done ribs from scratch, or made my own BBQ sauce, and that is my current mission, and want a community to chat it out with.

I think I was a member back when my son was born, but have no clue what my username was.

Anybody in the San Diego area want to meet and drink beers? I'd love to make new friends.

does the friend you passed the broken grill off on still talk to you "only kidding" I'd stop for a drink but i'm pretty far to.

Reactions: hagcel
Great story man and even better that you're training the next generation of pit masters!

I live in PA so it's a bit late for me to join you for a drink lol.

I hear you about culture shock though. I have no neighbors for quite a distance. Not sure I could ever live in an urban area again. I like letting my dogs run (don't even own a leash) and peeing off my deck too much!

Reactions: hagcel
The friend who got my old grill? She kept calling it "super cute". She's the most amazing baker, who makes all of our birthday sweets at work, but hates sweets herself. She was pretty excited about the excuse to buy a rivet gun. :) It wasn't my favorite grill, but it made us many great dinners, and I am happy it has a good second home.

timstalltaletav timstalltaletav Haha, Peeing off the deck! Oh man, we hadn't even built the railing yet, but a buddy and I were telling tales on night, and I drug him back to the under-construction deck for a pissing contest. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Did fast sear top round, potatoes, and lime brocolli on the grill tonight. Tomorrow is my first go ever at St Louis style ribs (3-2-1), smoked mashed parsnips, and butter and bacon asparagus.

Reactions: timstalltaletav
Gave up all that for San Diego? The Dr. wants to see you in 20 minutes please. welcome back.

.Sounds like you're none the worse for wear! Welcome back. If I ever get to San Diego I'll let ya know. Until then have a beer anyway :emoji_sunglasses:. BBQ Sauces.... yeah they're fun to mess with. There are a few below if interested.

Don't knock San Diego... But really, it was the power of family with a 3 year old son.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky