All Beef Hot Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
Well, this is not exactly Serdelki, which is Polish sausage. Real serdelki made of 75% of pork and 25% of beef and use just a few spices in the recipe. I needed all beef product because I was asked by my coworkers and relatives for this. I went through 5-6 "all beef" hot dog recipes I have in my archive and came back with my recipe, differ from all others.... I am still looking for some new testes... :-) So, here it is:
first I grinded 5.3 kg of chuck roast through 3 mm plate twice, refreezing meat between grinds. I decided not to use my Food processor for meat emulsification because this is pretty time consuming and messy process. Still looking for a good deal on Champion juicer.
BHD.jpg
BHD1.jpg

Placed meat in the fridge for 1.5 hour after last grind. Added Cure 1, salt, all spices, water and NFDM and mixed it well till sticky. Placed the meat in the fridge and kept it there overnight. Next day is a stuffing process. Used 32mm beef casing. I didn't want to stuff the sausage to tight to avoid blowouts during the linking...
BHD3.jpg

When stuffing was completed I hanged linked hot dogs to dry for one hour
BHD4.jpg

...and in the smoker.
BHD5.jpg

The smoker temp was initially setup for 125F for 30 min, then 135F for 30 min, 150 for 1 hour and another hour at 165F. When IM temperature reached 135F I brought hot dogs in for poaching at Anova setup at 165F. Strait in the water they went.... for about 10 min. until IM temp reached 153F-155F.
BHD6.jpg
BHD7.jpg

After this step I hanged cooked Hot dogs in my special cage in backyard for overnight with ambient temperature between 55-45 F.
Next morning brought everything in to vac pack everything.

BHD8.jpg

...and for taste test....
BHD9.jpg

The verdict: great texture and the taste is nice but.... next time I'll be using fewer spices. I will definitely omit coriander.
Thank you for watching!

LIKE. Some day I am gonna make some dogs and will be all beef too. Not sure if you are on Facebook but check out the marketplace. Found a dozen Champion juicers on there and several for $50 in good shape. I need to get rid of some stuff before pulling the trigger but definitely grabbing one eventually.

Reactions: pushok2018
Not sure if you are on Facebook but check out the marketplace.
I am not exactly "social media" friendly and prefer not to use them because of various reasons.... I am sure I still have Facebook account I created like 11 years ago. Will follow your advice and check out the marketplace on the juicer. Thank you for the like!
Looks like a nice load of puppies Push, Like! RAY
Thank you for the like, Ray!

I am not exactly "social media" friendly and prefer not to use them because of various reasons.... I am sure I still have Facebook account I created like 11 years ago. Will follow your advice and check out the marketplace on the juicer. Thank you for the like!
Totally get that, I am not into social media myself but have some no local friends and family. That said, FB Marketplace is killer. Craigslist is dead. Good luck!

Did you add any fat , or was the chuck grind enough ?
Yeap, there wasn't enough of fat on chuck grind.... I didn't want to add more beef fat (which I have separately frozen) because beef fat doesn't work well in sausages..... I would definitely added more pork fat but like I stated before this sausage had to be "all beef".... Thank you for the like, chopsaw!

Reactions: chopsaw
beef fat doesn't work well in sausages....
Well Part of the reason I asked , I just broke down a beef knuckle and a eye round . I was going to do " all beef " German bologna using the trim and fat cap . I have 2 pork butts also , cutting them next .
I'll mix with pork fat .

Great looking hot dogs!
We always use pork butt for hot dogs, just like them better than the beef ones.
Al

Nice looking hot dogs :emoji_yum: :emoji_thumbsup:
Not a big fan of coriander in hot dog recipe's myself. Replace it with some chili powder.
:emoji_wink::emoji_wink:

If your looking for a hot dog packed with flavor I found all pork is the way to go. I've tried all beef, beef and pork mix and all pork and all pork rules IMO. 30% fat content is key.......

Boykjo

Reactions: pushok2018
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky