A Simple Smoked Chicken w/ Qview

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by seenred, Apr 26, 2014.

1. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Haven't had the smoker out in over a week, so I decided to smoke a quick, simple chicken this afternoon.  I started with a 6 lb. bird...coated it with some spray olive oil, then seasoned with a mix of a Mediterranean rub and a garlic/jalapeno seasoned salt, both under and on the outside of the skin.

Into the Rec Tec...1.5 hours @ 225, 1 hour @ 250, and finished it with 1 hour @ 300*.

Can you see the TBS??

A shot from a little over 2 hours in.

Done! 

Pulled and plated, with some sliced, sauteed new potatoes.  Also had a nice garden salad.

A little closer shot...super moist and very tasty!

A nice, easy and delicious supper...and the 6 lb. bird is enough to make at least one more meal for Mrs. Red and me...I'll have to come up with a good recipe for the leftovers later next week!

Thanks for stopping by!

Red

marauder likes this.
  2. Sounds and Looks Excellent Red!! Lots of options for leftover chicken. Awesome looking Chevy in the background also!

3. seenred

Thanks Deuce! Yep, I'll think of something tasty to do with the leftover pulled chicken...

That red Camaro is Mrs. Red's...I guess you could call it her midlife crisis? :biggrin:
    I sure like lookin' at it as long as I don't have to try to get in it! They don't build those low sporty jobs for old farts like me. :wink:

Red

4. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Lookin good Red!

5. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

[​IMG]  Nice car!!

[​IMG]  The chicken don't look bad either!

6. seenred

Thanks Keith! Thumbs Up

Thanks Joe! Mrs. Red sure loves that car. Oh and she really enjoyed the chicken too! :biggrin:

Red

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  7. smokinadam

smokinadam Smoking Fanatic

Very nice looking Red. Making me hungry. Can't wait to do one but on a beer can!

8. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Its really hard to beat a simple smoked chicken. Of course its only simply when you know what you are doing.

Excellent looking bird Sir. Hard to beat simplicity done right.

9. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great lookin meal Red, not much better than a bird that looks like that ! :drool Then the other fixins, yourself & Mrs. Red sure ate well there ! Gotta love that TBS ! Them pellet grills give kind of a unique spin on Q & I really enjoy it.. looks like your enjoying yours as well ! Thumbs Up Here's to the TBS :beercheer: Take care my friend !

10. seenred

Thanks Adam!  We like beer can birds too...just decided to keep this one quick and simple.
    Appreciate it Foamy!  Ya mean it helps if you know what you're doing??  That never stopped me before...maybe I shoulda studied harder in school?  [​IMG]
    Thanks a lot Justin!  We ate pretty good, but not as good as you!  Don't get me wrong...yardbird's great, but no T-bones on our menu this time [​IMG]

Always appreciate the kinds words...

Red

11. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

Hey Red,

Looking real good!

Thanks for the stepped heat idea - will try it out next week.

Cheers!

Ed

12. shtrdave

shtrdave Smoking Fanatic

Looks great, haven't done a whole chicken in a while, may have to go find one. Have a small turkey breast thawing i the fridge now.

13. seenred

Hi Ed...thanks for the compliment!

With my pellet pit, lower cooking temps make better smoke...so I like to start out low and slow to infuse plenty of smoky flavor before increasing the temp. over the course of the cook.
    Thanks Dave!  Looking forward to seeing your qview!  [​IMG]

Red

14. Looks great Red

15. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking bird Red!

16. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Awesome looking bird Red!!

17. seenred

Thanks guys!  Appreciate yall stopping by.

Red

18. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking plate Red.

Love the color on the bird.

19. seenred

I appreciate it Adam!  

Red

20. I missed this while I was away. That chicken looks great Red  [​IMG]  & I would tear into those potatoes cooked like that [​IMG]   Nice job with the bird & meal - that's something that goes good at pretty much any time or place!  [​IMG]