A Phosphate by any other name

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
Would a Phosphate by any other name, smell as sweet?

I’m a still a Newbie, and I’m not in the US. I’ve got a recipe that calls for ‘Cold Phosphate’, and I can’t find anything by that name in my country. ..and no, I'm not gonna drop $40 + Duties to bring 8oz here.

I ‘can’ find products whose translation is ‘Sticky Power’. But where Walton’s calls the chemical in their Cold Phosphate - Sodium Phosphate, the few Sticky Powder brands that actually list ingredients call it sodium PYROphosphate. I'm not a chemist, and do not know the difference.

It’s cheap, 129฿/Kg ($1.69/lb) and describes exactly what Cold Phosphate is supposed to do. (Pardon the bad translation of the Description below) So, close enough, I’ll be using the Sticky Powder, but I like understanding what I’m doing especially when making substitutions to cures

Point is that they really harp that the percentage for Sticky Powder not exceed 0.3%, while Waltons Cold Phosphate calls for a max of 0.50%. (my recipe calls for 0.45%)

My Questions:
Is this the same thing, under a different name?
Is it a different chemical?
Is it the same but stronger, thus the reduced percentage?
…or, (brace yourself), that Thailand has stricter FDA than the US?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

-sterling

❗️ขายดีอันดับ 1 ใน shopee❗️แป้งเหนียว มิกซ์ฟอสเฟต Phosphate Mix 500 กรัม(g)

สารฟอสเฟตเป็นตัวช่วยเสริมประสิทธิภาพในการสกัดโปรตีนของเกลือ เนื่องจากโปรตีนไมโอซินที่มีส่วนสำคัญต่อการเกิดเจลในผลิตภัณฑ์เนื้อบดละเอียดสามารถสกัดได้ด้วยสารละลายเกลือ แต่การผลิตเนื้อบดละเอียดไม่สามารถใส่เกลือได้ในปริมาณมากเพราะจะทำให้ผลิตภัณฑ์มีรสเค็มและมีความชุ่มน้ำน้อยจนเกินไป สารฟอสเฟตจึงมีหน้าที่ช่วยทำให้โปรตีนในกล้ามเนื้อคลายตัวเพิ่มมากขึ้นและพร้อมที่จะถูกเกลือสกัดไมโอซินได้อย่างง่ายดายโดยไม่ต้องใช้เกลือในปริมาณที่มากขึ้น Phosphate Mix 500 กรัม(g) สารฟอสเฟตทำหน้าที่จับน้ำในโครงสร้างทำให้สามารถใส่น้ำลงไปในสูตรการผลิตได้มาก เมื่อน้ำมากขึ้นทำให้ผลิตภัณฑ์เนื้อบดละเอียดมีเนื้อสัมผัสที่ชุ่มชื้น ไม่แห้งกระด้าง และยังเป็นการช่วยเพิ่มน้ำหนักให้กับผลิตภัณฑ์ได้อีกทางหนึ่งซึ่งเป็นการสร้างผลกำไรให้แก่ผู้ผลิตนั่นเอง อีกทั้งยังป้องกันการเกิดกลิ่นหืนในผลิตภัณฑ์ได้ด้วยเนื่องจากสารฟอสเฟตจะทำปฏิกิริยากับธาตุโลหะบางตัวที่เป็นตัวกระตุ้นให้ไขมันแตกตัวและเกิดกลิ่นหืน สารฟอสเฟตจึงเข้าไปทำหน้าที่ตรึงธาตุดังกล่าวไว้ ทำเฉาก๊วยเป็นส่วนผสมทำให้เฉาก๊วยเป็นรูปร่าง #ฟอสเฟต #ผงสำหรับทำหมูยอ #แป้งเหนียวทำไส้กรอกอีสาน #ผงเด้งทำลูกชิ้น อย.ได้กำหนดการใช้ฟอสเฟตโดยให้มีปริมาณฟอสเฟตไม่เกิน 0.3% ของน้ำหนักรวมผลิตภัณฑ์เพราะหากใช้เกินกว่าปริมาณที่กำหนดอาจก่อให้เกิดอันตรายต่อผู้บริโภคและมีผลทำให้ผลิตภัณฑ์มีรสชาติฝาดเฝื่อนลิ้นอีกด้วย ยกตัวอย่าง น้ำหนักสินค้ารวม 1 กิโลกรัม ใช้ไม่เกิน 0.3% เท่ากับใส่ผงฟอสเฟตแค่ 3 กรัม (ไม่ใช่ 3 ขีด) ฉะนั้นแนะนำใส่ สินค้านำ้หนัก 1กก. ใส่ผงฟอสเฟต ระหว่าง 1 - 3 กรัม ผู้ใช้สารผสมอาหารควรใช้ด้วยความระมัดระวัง

Phosphates help enhance the efficiency of protein extraction from the salt. This is because the protein myosin, which is important for gelling in finely ground products, can be extracted with salt solution. But when producing minced meat, you cannot add a large amount of salt because it will make the product taste salty and have too little moisture. Phosphate substances therefore have the function of helping to make the protein in the muscles more relaxed and ready to be easily extracted by salt to extract myosin without having to use a larger amount of salt. Phosphate Mix 500 grams (g) Phosphate substances It serves to capture water in the structure, making it possible to add a lot of water to the production formula. With more water, the finely ground product has a moist texture. Not dry and harsh And it is also another way to increase the weight of the product, which creates profits for the manufacturer. It also prevents rancidity in the product because phosphates react with certain metal elements that stimulate fat to break down and cause rancidity. Phosphate therefore acts to fix the element. Make grass jelly as an ingredient to make grass jelly into shape. #Phosphate #Powder for making pork sausage. #Sticky dough for making Isaan sausage #Bounce powder for making meatballs The FDA has determined that the use of phosphate must not exceed 0.3% of the total weight of the product because if it is used more than the specified amount, it may cause harm to consumers and result in the product having an astringent taste. For example, weight. Total product: 1 kilogram, use no more than 0.3%, equivalent to adding only 3 grams of phosphate powder (not 3 grams), so it is recommended to add Product weighing 1 kg. contains between 1 - 3 grams of phosphate powder. Food additive users should use with caution.

Phosphates are confusing even if you are a chemist, because there are a lot of structures in that family. Monophosphates, diphosphates, polyphosphates, with varying numbers of counterions (usually sodium) and forming various hydrates (with defined quantities of water). It's the diphosphates that are also called pyrophosphates. The Wikipedia article might help...or it might just cause further confusion :emoji_wink:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_phosphate

I've never used phosphates in cooking...never made sausage, so I've no practical experience here whatsoever. But I know you can't blindly substitute one phosphate for another...besides having different properties, they have different molecular weights. An ounce of sodium monophosphate (anhydrous) will contain a significantly different amount of phosphate than would an ounce of, say, tetrasodium diphosphate (decahydrate). They would also have different effects on the pH. So I'd think carefully following widely-accepted recipes is your best bet.

As for 'cold phosphate', the Walton's site you referenced is about the only place I can find that term. They don't say what's in it, but they tend to refer to 'phosphates' and 'phosphate' interchangeably, leading me to think it might be a mixture, which might also explain why the percentages they use are different than in other recipes you've found.

Sorry I can't provide more useful guidance.

Reactions: DailyLunatic
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky