A-Maze-N vs ProQ Cold Smoke Generators

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow you're a real friendly bunch on here.
I'd be more than happy to send one of our units out, for free, to anybody that will give a non-biased, honest review.
However I don't honestly believe that will change anyones opinion on this forum, based on the comments so far, even if the ProQ out-performed it tenfold.
If anyone is serious about giving and honest review, please feel free to PM me.

Ian

I am considering buying an AMNPS, but would be glad to give an unbiased test of both, photos and times included. Pm me for an address if you are serious. I have lived abroad and can respect that quality products come from around the world. I like German steel, Argentinan wine, and have had great luck with Japanese cars.

I wonder if Todd would be willing to pitch in or at least offer a deal as well.

To the winner, I offer an idea I have that I believe will even further the success of your products.

Let's find out

I am considering buying an AMNPS, but would be glad to give an unbiased test of both, photos and times included. Pm me for an address if you are serious. I have lived abroad and can respect that quality products come from around the world. I like German steel, Argentinan wine, and have had great luck with Japanese cars.

I wonder if Todd would be willing to pitch in or at least offer a deal as well.

To the winner, I offer an idea I have that I believe will even further the success of your products.

Let's find out
Hi Nevrsummr!!

I doubt if you'll get a reply. That guy was here years ago. He only made 17 posts & hasn't been here since February of 2012.

Here's a Link:

http://www.amazenproducts.com

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Bear. Loved the post on your chainsaw carvings btw. Been doing a lot of research on different smoke options and just getting more confused. I did make the mistake of getting excited and responding to the challenge on page 1 before realizing there's 9 pages. I definitely see advantages to the AMNPS as far as durability over the screen. My concerns are with tws Vs tbs . Since you use them regularly and I trust your advice, perhaps some thoughts on the type of smoke produced. Also, for a 24 cu ft smoker would it produce enough smoke for multiple items? Or would a generator be better? I have a pid with relay output that can control smoke, something that could be electrically operated interests me as well. As always, I greatly appreciate your input. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/239499/traulsen-commercial-refrigerator-build
J

Thanks Bear. Loved the post on your chainsaw carvings btw. Been doing a lot of research on different smoke options and just getting more confused. I did make the mistake of getting excited and responding to the challenge on page 1 before realizing there's 9 pages. I definitely see advantages to the AMNPS as far as durability over the screen. My concerns are with tws Vs tbs . Since you use them regularly and I trust your advice, perhaps some thoughts on the type of smoke produced. Also, for a 24 cu ft smoker would it produce enough smoke for multiple items? Or would a generator be better? I have a pid with relay output that can control smoke, something that could be electrically operated interests me as well. As always, I greatly appreciate your input. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/239499/traulsen-commercial-refrigerator-build
J
For 24 Cubic Feet, I would recommend the 12" to 18" expanding Tube Smoke. It puts out more smoke than the 5 X 8 AMNPS:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OET

Bear

I would like to order the amazen package number 5 but with the 12 to 18 expanding instead of a 6". Can Todd hook that up? Probably too late for the 20% holiday coupon hey? Any comment on blue smoke Vs white with the amazen?

I would like to order the amazen package number 5 but with the 12 to 18 expanding instead of a 6". Can Todd hook that up? Probably too late for the 20% holiday coupon hey? Any comment on blue smoke Vs white with the amazen?
PM Todd < TJohnson>

I'm sure he'll do his best. Tell Him "Bear Sent You".

As for Blue or White Smoke------I have never gotten any smoke from an AMNPS that was bad.

Bear

I have a ProQ, some AMNPS's and some AMNTS's. They really are best suited to different situations. I found the ProQ OK for small capacity smokers (e.g. Weber Kettle or WSM) but for me it is very temperamental and I found that I could not rely on it to keep alight unattended. The AMNPS I use all the time for my cold smoking. It looks as if our smoke chambers are similar in size (mine is a converted commercial freezer) and the AMNPS fills it without any trouble. I also have a variable speed 4" fan built into the flue to help ensure a good flow of air and smoke through the chamber. For cold smoking the AMNPS is my choice.

The AMNTS is best suited in hot smoking environments. It is great for used in gas BBQs to add smoke and also in pellet BBQs to augment the smoke. I regularly use a 12" AMNTS in my FEC-120 to boost the smoke during cooking. The AMNTS actually produces too much smoke over too short a period of time for me to use it for cold smoking.

With regards to the quality of the smoke... well, it is smoke. The flavour of the smoke will depend on the type and quality of the pellets. I have not really noticed any quality difference between my different pellet burning smoke generators. I also have one of the older Smoke Daddy generators. They all burn the same pellets and produce very similar smoke. My preference for the AMNPS over the SmokeDaddy is because the AMNPS does not need power and I found it more reliable over long burns.

Last edited:
Reactions: old bones
Thanks Wade, great post , very informative. Good pics too, nice build. So you recommend the tray over the 12-18 expandable? I would like to hear about your fan, been considering one myself. How did you do it? How does it hold up to the smoke,heat,creosote,etc associated with the smoking environment?

Thanks Wade, great post , very informative. Good pics too, nice build. So you recommend the tray over the 12-18 expandable? I would like to hear about your fan, been considering one myself. How did you do it? How does it hold up to the smoke,heat,creosote,etc associated with the smoking environment?
Like I said, like Wade, my favorite is by far the AMNPS Tray, but for 24 cubic feet, I would recommend the Tube.

Also if you are at a high altitude, definitely go with the tube. The AMNPS has problems at high altitudes.

Bear

I sent Todd a pm. I took your advice on the 12_18. 3000 feet high in elevation? Elevation is one of those things that is relative to where you live. Haha

I'll throw my two cents in. I use the AMNTS tubes for cold smoking all the time. Either right in the pit or in my mailbox mod and piped in. Never found that they produce too much smoke for cold smoking. They were recommended for my altitude and for use in my propane smoker. They do fine hot smoking in the propane and charcoal smoker with pit temps up to 285. After that the pellets ignite and burn instead of smoldering.

I have the 6",12",18", and the new expando tube. I found in cooler temperatures (below 30 degrees) that the new expando tube doesn't last as long as the old style tube. Higher temps seems to last as long as the others.

I sent Todd a pm. I took your advice on the 12_18. 3000 feet high in elevation? Elevation is one of those things that is relative to where you live. Haha
I know a couple guys who had a hard time with the Tray at 5,000', and another guy just told me the other day that he has no problem at 3.500', but I would still go with one of the tubes.

Did you tell Todd, "Bear Sent You"??  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Any comment on blue smoke Vs white with the amazen?
As with any smoke generator, by changing the type of fuel, (chips, chunks, pellets, sawdust, or fine powder), placement and airflow, one can get the desired color of smoke from white to blue. At the same time controlling the amount of creosote introduced to the product chamber.

As mentioned in the past, by using different colors of smoke you will to learn to adjust the time that you actually apply smoke to a product. The whiter the smoke the less forgiving it is. For example, you wouldn’t want to apply thick white smoke to a side of bacon for day’s but it would be a necessity if you wanted to smoke shrimp for a couple minutes before serving a smoked shrimp cocktail. To increase your smoking options, use your smoke generator regardless of the make in different manors.

T

Thanks Mr T.

I had smoked a lot of fish on the past but my learning there are different types of smoke (for smoking food) happened since I joined here. I'm using mainly electric setups do I was curious if I was limiting my ability to experiment and learn with what you guys call TBS. Pretty much the only smoke I see in my smoker is white. However in my Louisiana grill I do see more of a blue. I guess I will keep reading and learning more. So far this site has taught me a lot. Thanks to all.

J

Each smoker will have its own characteristics. Although there are adjustments that you can make, take good notes, learn your individual smoker then use what you have learned, afterwards, relax and enjoy your cooks.

T

Like I said, like Wade, my favorite is by far the AMNPS Tray, but for 24 cubic feet, I would recommend the Tube.

Also if you are at a high altitude, definitely go with the tube. The AMNPS has problems at high altitudes.

Bear
Bear is probably right that at altitude you may require the tube smoker - I am almost at sea level so it isn't a problem for me. At my low altitude though the volume of smoke from the AMNPS is more than enough. The volume of my cabinet is 650 litre (23 cubic feet) and you can see from the photo the amount of smoke inside. That was taken about 15 seconds after the door was opened so that some of the smoke had dissipated and you could actually see the fish. The chamber also has a fan in the flue to ensure that the smoke/air is continually flowing through the chamber.

The fan is inline in the flue and is simply a 4" variable speed PC cooling fan http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=118&area=en.

I made a bracket to connect it to the 4" duct (that is common over here for air extraction) from a duct size converter plate that you can buy from most of our DIY stores. The adapter I use is made of plastic and I cut away the square section fitting http://www.diy.com/departments/manrose-white-flat-to-round-adaptor-wall-plate/258829_BQ.prd  

but something like this from Home Depot may do just as well with some modification http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-4-in-Round-Wall-Vent-WVA4/100396975

I was putting together another fan just recently for another project and you can see the construction in these photos

This was for extracting straight to the outside - hence the insect screen and fan grill. For an inline fan simply use two of the adapter plates to sandwich the fan. This fan unit is for cold smoking only.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky