3rd batch of Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
I picked up some bellies at Costco the other day. My wife says I went overboard. I say she's the crazy one....

20240217_135512.jpg

Cut into portions to fit the vacuum pack and rubbed with:
  • 1.5% Kosher Salt
  • .25% Cure #1
  • 1% Brown Sugar
Due to the volume I have on hand and limited smoker space, I'll have to stagger the smoke dates. I plan on leaving a few for a full 14 days now that I have my fridge temps dialed in. The rest will sit for at least 7 days, but the smoke date will be determined by the weather more than anything.

Can't wait to see the finish. My wife says that all the time. I just ignore her... lol. Not really but she is used to it by now. Lol

Reactions: nlife and JLeonard
Looks like your gonna be bacon rich!

Jim

That's the plan! I want to have a good stock of bacon on hand since it's something everyone loves.

Sounds like a good plan. I’m in for the multi part finishing and your thoughts on each time of finishing.

I'm looking forward to it. It's a fair amount for me to process, but I shouldn't have to do any more for some time. Unless I give a bunch away like I have been with sausages and pepperoni sticks.

It brings a genuine smile to my face that people like the products I put out.

Can't wait to see the finish. My wife says that all the time. I just ignore her... lol. Not really but she is used to it by now. Lol

Mine is getting used to it too. I also picked up another butt roast for when my #8 grinder shows up. I have 2 pork butt and 2 picnic roasts to grind. It also turns out that I'm clean out of cheddar smokies and camping season is rapidly approaching! They should be killer over a camp fire.

Last time I went to Costco I bought meat and another freezer to store it all. Got the same response. Tell your wife it could be a lot worse! :emoji_laughing:

We have an 18cu upright and a small 4cu apartment freezer running in addition to the little one above the fridge. I've been eating what I can, but I still had to bring a bunch up to my parents and in-laws to make room!

Update time!

I smoked 4 of the slabs up on the 24th (7 day cure) and have left them rest in the fridge vacuum packed. They'll be sliced tomorrow.
I was planning on smoking the last two slabs on day 14, which would be this Saturday the 29th. Unfortunately the weather has had different plans. We're looking at a cold front moving in so I took the opportunity to run the smoker today while it was a balmy 2c. I gave them 3 hours cherry wood smoke and am now finishing them in the oven at 150f.

These are from the first batch. They got the same smoke treatment of cherry wood for 3 hours. Sealed, rested and ready for slicing.

20240229_182754.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I was really looking forward to leaving the bacon to cure for the full 14 days, but oh well. I'll have to give it a try later this year when the weather is a little more predictable. I also need to get the mailbox mod finished up.

The last few smokes have been in the Bradley with just the puck burner on to provide a bit of heat. Last time I did this everything was fine as it JUST peaked at 80f in the box by the end of the smoke. This time I had more pellet in the tray and it must have been further under the puck burner.

Being paranoid about the pellets going out, I check on it every 20-30 minutes. Much to my surprise, the puck burner generated enough heat to get the pellets under it smoking. It was billowing a ton of smoke and had crept up to 111f in the box. I opened the door a crack to let some of the heavy smoke out and cool the box a tad. I was able to bring it back down to 65f pretty quick given that it was just a touch over freezing when I smoked these.

I was really looking forward to leaving the bacon to cure for the full 14 days, but oh well. I'll have to give it a try later this year when the weather is a little more predictable. I also need to get the mailbox mod finished up.

The last few smokes have been in the Bradley with just the puck burner on to provide a bit of heat. Last time I did this everything was fine as it JUST peaked at 80f in the box by the end of the smoke. This time I had more pellet in the tray and it must have been further under the puck burner.

Being paranoid about the pellets going out, I check on it every 20-30 minutes. Much to my surprise, the puck burner generated enough heat to get the pellets under it smoking. It was billowing a ton of smoke and had crept up to 111f in the box. I opened the door a crack to let some of the heavy smoke out and cool the box a tad. I was able to bring it back down to 65f pretty quick given that it was just a touch over freezing when I smoked these.
The heavy smoke is not a problem,,,,,,,, IF,,,,,,, you have good air flow. Most of the small smokers like MES and Bradley have not near enough air flow and the heavy smoke can become overwhelming. But if you have good fresh air intake and can exhaust that inflow you will be happy.

Ive been playing with a cold smoke generator (pellets mixed with chips) in my big smokehouse. This only produces that “white smoke” but it work’s excellent because I have very positive air flow through the smoker. Meats come off brilliantly red in color and mild in smoke flavor, just right.

Reactions: nlife
I've been trying to figure out how people get the thin blue smoke when using a pellet tray since so far mine has been more on the gray side of things. The end product tastes great, but it's definitely not TBS.

I've only used pellets after I've microwaved them for 2 minutes (30 seconds at a time). I've read that others bust them up into smaller bits, and some turn it into sawdust. I'll get it figured out yet

I've been trying to figure out how people get the thin blue smoke when using a pellet tray since so far mine has been more on the gray side of things. The end product tastes great, but it's definitely not TBS.

I've only used pellets after I've microwaved them for 2 minutes (30 seconds at a time). I've read that others bust them up into smaller bits, and some turn it into sawdust. I'll get it figured out yet
Figure out air flow. Even burning dust is not TBS, it’s about air exchange. TBS is not for much else other than live fire. Smoke tubes, trays, cold smoke generators are not like that.

Reactions: nlife
I hope that's where the mailbox mod will help out. Right now I have the puck burner attached to my Bradley and a pellet tray in the bottom where the water bowl would go. There's enough airflow for burning pucks, but that tray put out a fair amount more smoke tonight.

I guess I need to find a balance between the box being warm enough to create a draft and good air exchange for a better smoke. The stock setup only lets me run it at 120f at the lowest temp if I use the element. The puck burner runs the box at 60-70f.

I've looked at the PID mods, but that's a bit pricey at the moment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky