2nd Cheese attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
Went a little deeper today with my 2nd attempt. Went back to more cheddar and mozzarella, but also did some provolone, pepper jack and blue. Can't wait for a few weeks to try them all out. Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement and ideas!
20200508_143314.jpg

20200508_145700.jpg

20200508_153839.jpg

20200508_193129.jpg

Looks good! Nice selection you have there. You'll be in heaven once it's aged a bit.

Ryan

Reactions: pi guy
A wonderfully nice selection of cheeses! If you can keep the door cracked to maintain that amount of smoke and draft it will be really good.

One thing to keep in mind is the shape of your blocks. Equal blocks have even flavor. Wedges will be stronger toward the tip. When you buy rounds, make straight cuts, just pull the narrower edge pieces earlier.
0Jagd6v.jpg

A wonderfully nice selection of cheeses! If you can keep the door cracked to maintain that amount of smoke and draft it will be really good.

One thing to keep in mind is the shape of your blocks. Equal blocks have even flavor. Wedges will be stronger toward the tip. When you buy rounds, make straight cuts, just pull the narrower edge pieces earlier.
View attachment 444431
Awesome tip, thanks. Makes total sense!

Do you prefer a typical weight/volume? I've been trying to keep with about 8 oz. Not sure why, just guessed, I guess. Yours look lighter than that, maybe 6 oz? Just curious.

Looks like a good batch of cheese you've got. Enjoy it.

Point for sure
Chris

Good looking batch of cheese.

As you expand your smoked cheese horizons; give Cream Cheese, Swiss, and Butter a try.

Cream cheese will stand up to a good bit of heat, butter, not so much.

Good looking batch of cheese.

As you expand your smoked cheese horizons; give Cream Cheese, Swiss, and Butter a try.

Cream cheese will stand up to a good bit of heat, butter, not so much.
Interesting!! I'm definitely open to trying that!

I use these "Frog Mats", to help support the butter,when I believe that the smoke chamber may get above 65*. I've smoked butter around 12 times and the best I can tell, it will "slump" at around 75* - 80*.

This is a small load of Cream Cheese and Butter. I divide the Cream Cheese into 6 pieces, and split the butter sticks lengthwise, to increase the area of each, exposed to smoke.

DSC01428.jpg

I use these "Frog Mats", to help support the butter,when I believe that the smoke chamber may get above 65*. I've smoked butter around 12 times and the best I can tell, it will "slump" at around 75* - 80*.

This is a small load of Cream Cheese and Butter. I divide the Cream Cheese into 6 pieces, and split the butter sticks lengthwise, to increase the area of each, exposed to smoke.

View attachment 444709
How do you store the butter after to let it rest. Do you freeze and then vacuum seal? Does the butter need to rest for many months like the cheese?

How do you store the butter after to let it rest. Do you freeze and then vacuum seal? Does the butter need to rest for many months like the cheese?
I re-wrap the butter, (And the Cream Cheese for that matter), in the paper and foil wrapper, (For the Cream Cheese), that it comes in, than back in their respective boxes. I rest all of my cheeses and the butter, for two weeks then store, vac bag for long term and zip lock for what I am going to use, short term.

I know that you can freeze butter, (Not cheese), but I haven't, yet. I have stored butter for up to six months, before getting around to using it, vacuum bagged in the fridge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky