2021 Buckboard Bacon, Just Before the Snowfall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Got 2 batches done just before Christmas. Good thing, as I woke up to 5" of snow this morning. A little unusual here, but it's 24° outside right now, and still coming down with 25 mph gusts. (See below.)

Anyway, first batch of 20 lbs was done with DiggingDogFarm's cure calculator, using maple sugar and 2T of maple extract per 5 lb slab. Even then, the maple is there, but still subtle. I don't know what more I can do to try to get more maple flavor into the meat. Smoked with my usual 70/30 ratio of corn cob and cherry. One of the 4 slabs, I sprinkled with coarse BP before smoking.
20211205_142030.jpg

20211205_172558.jpg

20211212_150247.jpg

For the second 20 lbs. batch, I used High Mountain BBB cure. I was warned that it could be a little salty, so I soaked for three hours before smoking. Turned out to not be enough. The end product was edible, but on the high side of my salt tolerance. Otherwise, the flavor was good, but I think I will stick to my own cure from now on. (Just wish I hadn't bought 2 more boxes while it was on sale. They might go on OfferUp.) I sliced up that batch on Christmas Eve day, and also a 5 lbs. slab of belly that I had in the freezer and had forgotten to slice last time. Most of it went to the in-laws yesterday.
20211224_110830.jpg

20211224_110850.jpg

Some snow pics:
20211226_104641.jpg

There is a pretty good breeze going on, blowing the snow sideways. I'm expecting to see a Bumble any minute. Even my covered back deck got hit.
20211226_112928.jpg

And don't forget to help out our avian friends. I brought this hummingbird feeder in last night so it wouldn't freeze, and put it back out this morning. These little guys do not migrate, and have braved the winds and flakes to get some juice.
20211226_114538.jpg

20211226_120941.jpg

Nice job, great color. Yes, I think the flavor from homemade curing is better plus you control the salt, sugar and whatever other flavor and all to your taste. Looks great.

Reactions: DougE
I don't know what more I can do to try to get more maple flavor into the meat.
Best way I have found is to hang the bacon in the fridge after it is smoked. Use a spray bottle filled with maple extract and spray the bacon. Let it dry in the fridge for a day. You can do this 2-3 times and it will increase the maple flavor.

Best way I have found is to hang the bacon in the fridge after it is smoked. Use a spray bottle filled with maple extract and spray the bacon. Let it dry in the fridge for a day. You can do this 2-3 times and it will increase the maple flavor.
Interesting idea. I'll have to see if I can to that. But my extract is $6+ for 4oz. on Amazon.

Great looking bacon. what is your slicer set on for for slicing? That is about how thick I want mine to be.
Jim

Great looking bacon. what is your slicer set on for for slicing? That is about how thick I want mine to be.
Jim
Oh lord, I don't know. It's on 2.5, which is probably something like 10 slices per inch. I know I can get paper-thin slices of prosciutto on it. I think it's called a Sirman, made in Italy.

Reactions: JLeonard
Great looking bacon nice job

Kinda funny; I just brought the hummingbird feeder in to defrost it again, 22° here now. And while I was hitting it with a hair dryer, one of the birds knocked angrily on the glass door. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You got some really nice color on that. It's been a number of years since I used the Hi Mountain BBB cure but I would use 21 grams/pound of pork butt, cure it 8 days, then soak-out around 6 hours.

How did you use the maple extract? I've read that some folks will mix maple syrup 50:50 with warm water, then use that as an injection.... I believe following the soak-out. I have used fenugreek on belly bacon, and it does simulate a maple flavor, but it was too artificial for me.

How did you use the maple extract? I've read that some folks will mix maple syrup 50:50 with warm water, then use that as an injection.... I believe following the soak-out. I have used fenugreek on belly bacon, and it does simulate a maple flavor, but it was too artificial for me.
On my own rub, I mix the extract with the dry ingredients to form a paste. Then rub the bacon before sealing, and let it go for 10-14 days.

Reactions: thirdeye
Nice looking bacon.
I used to smoke with sugar maple from my yard. Maple pellets are eh to me.

Kinda funny; I just brought the hummingbird feeder in to defrost it again, 22° here now. And while I was hitting it with a hair dryer, one of the birds knocked angrily on the glass door. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
You must have Rufous that winter. Aggressive little buggers

That's a beautiful pile of bacon there! Your pork got some great color on them! Congrats on the ride!
Maybe you could put in a little hummingbird door to let your little friends in where it's warm! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Great looking bird! The bacon is pretty beautiful too! Man, that is spectacular work. Very well deserved feature! Big points for that!

Love all the bacon, BBB is on my list for a while now. Someday. Enjoy the ride

Love the bird picture, we have lots of hummingbird feeders here but stop around end of Sept/Oct so they will go south.
like Brokenhandle Brokenhandle said , need a little bird door cut in your door :emoji_grin:

David

That's all just freaking Awesome, Mike!!!
Great Pics too.
Nice Job!
Like.
Also Great pics of the same Hummer feeder we have, but yours has a Hummer on it. We take ours in because they leave here for the Winter.

Bear

Incredible lookin' grub! :emoji_thumbsup:

While we have Hummers around here it wasn't until my gal and I went to Colorado that I understood why they are called Hummingbirds. At Royal Gorge they have feeders set up and whatever varieties of Hummers they have out there sound like dive bombers or something. Crazy loud!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky