1st spare ribs w/ Q'Vu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scubadoo97

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Florida
While the wifey is away I get a chance to make some pork ribs. She doesn't eat pork. Previously made beef ribs were okay but way fatty.

Spare ribs were on sale so I picked up a slab. Trimmed them St. Louis style and rubbed them with a mix of paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, oregano, cumin and salt.

Used the 3:2:1 method on the MES set at 235*. I used hickory chunks for the smoke. The ribs were at 205* when pulled. No comparison to the beef ribs. These were succulent, meaty and delicious. I gave them a light coating of BBQ sauce after uncovering for the last 45 min. of cooking. Served simply with a side of coleslaw.

Ribs after the first 3 hours

Finished with sauce

Dinners ready. Mmmmmm

I also have a 4 lb pork butt still in the smoker. Same rub.

This will be pulled for sandwiches.
icon_idea.gif
I figured while the smoker's hot do a lot

Looks good nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nicely crafted ribs there Scoob! POINTS to you for that early afternoon stomach growl.

FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! LOL

Looking good! You sure that's your first?

Those spares look great...I haven't used dry mustard as a season for meat...did they pack a bit of punch (heat) with the mustard? Very interesting rub combo, simple and to the point. A no frills, just get it done type of blend.

Care to share the rub recipe? Even if it's a pinch of this and a shake of that?

I'm curious 'cause I might try that on a burn I'm doing in May, on a couple of slabs, anyway. I've got 2 slabs of BB's and 7# CS ribs waiting for non-stormy weather to get smoked, as well.

Thanks for sharing! Good lookin' smoke!

Eric

Eric, thanks for the kind words. The dry mustard is an ingredient I've seen in a few rib rubs. Not much heat from it. I looked at a couple of recipes and then went from there.

I wish I could give you the recipe or even the proportions but I just wing it like I do everything I make. I cook a lot and cook intuitively by what I think will work as well as tasting as I go.

Not trying to hide any secrets as there are none. The only problem is when something is really good trying to recreate it exactly. Not such a problem when things don't meet my expectations since I have a good idea what not to do on the next go round.

No, I smoked them on a rack for the first 3 hrs then into a covered foil pan for 1 more hour and uncovered with a little BBQ sauce brushed on for about 45 min.

Thanks. They were about the tastiest ribs I've ever had. I can't think of even baby backs that tasted as good. These were very meaty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky