1st Smoke, not Thrilled!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

techy96z

Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
So today was my first smoke with my new smoker. Since my wife really likes ribs I bought 3 racks of baby ribs. After everything was said and done, I found the smoke overpowered the rub that I put on them and I wasnt thrilled with them but my family loved them!

I used the 3-2-1 method but found that after 5 hours, they were already FOTB and didnt need anymore time except for a little time to glaze them. I had a hard time chasing the temp on my smoker to stay "constant" around 230ish.

To prep the ribs I coated them in mustard and them covered both sides liberally with the rub.

IMG_1807.jpg

I used cherry wood chips in foil packets as my MasterChef burns up the chips was too fast using the tray.

After the first 3 hours of smoke, they looked like this. I expected the rub to have been caramelized totally on each rack but that wasnt the case.

IMG_1813.jpg

I then wrapped the ribs in foil and put them on for another 2 hours and they came out like this...already FOTB.

IMG_1814.jpg

I did glaze them a little but I really didnt want to put too much more heat to them.

IMG_1816.jpg

Next time...
- Should I use less rub?
- Would it have been better to only smoke them for 2 hours?

My 2 biggest personal critiques were the smoke flavour seemed to overpower the taste profile and they looked "burnt".

Any pointers for next time?

Thanks!
Geoff

Reactions: texomakid
3-2-1 is for spare ribs, not baby backs. 2-2-1 is better for BBs.

I see people on TV pack rub on ribs. Makes me want to gag. I can't taste the meat at all. Personally, I lightly dust ribs so the meat can shine.

Smoke overpowering the flavor. Yeah, when it comes to smoke, more is not better. The RIGHT kind of smoke is better, which is a very light blue smoke. Everyone has to figure out the best way to get that smoke in their smoker. I'm not a propane guy so someone will be along to help out.

BTW, I'd eat those ribs, or make something delicious out of them (beans, polenta, smoky cheesy macaroni, soup, chili, etc).

I wouldn’t get caught up on “methods” when it comes to smoking. 3-2-1 is more of a guideline. Yeah, it may turn out great, it may turn out terrible. Personally when I do ribs, I put some rub on, but not too much. To me yours look over seasoned. Then throw them on the smoker around 235-250 range. I check them after about an hour and a half and make sure the they are getting dry, if they are I spray or mop them with either apple cider vinegar, or a mixture of water, red wine vinegar, olive oil, some rub and apple/pineapple juice mix, just enough to keep them from drying out on top. Then I check them every 45ish minutes til the color gets a nice mahogany/deep red color then it’s time to wrap. When I wrap I check them every 45 minutes in the wrap by picking them up in the center, when they get a nice bend to them, where they feel like they could fold in half but still hold up their own weight without breaking, then pull them out the wrap and sauce em or if you don’t like sauce let them rest and slice them and eat them.
Doing it this way they aren’t fall off the bone when you slice them, but when you take a bite, your bite comes clean, yet leaves the rest of the meat on the bone.

I’m a keep it simple kind of person when it comes to baby backs, just a simple rub and about 3.5 to 4sh hours at 225-250 with a 15-20 min glaze time for sauce. They are done when they pull apart when bent. Not wrapping them makes a very nice bark! We (our house) don’t like fall of the bone ribs as that’s what we do pulled pork for.

On the smoke, you don’t need much visible smoke for good flavor. Let your smoker burn the chips up as that will make a “cleaner” smoke. Slowing down the burning process can cause bitterness. For a lighter smoke flavor only use chips for the first hour or two then just heat afterwards.

Suggest using the A-MAZE-N tray smoker. Forget the chips and move to pellets. Many modify the unit via a mailbox mod. There are many ways to get good ribs and yes the 3-2-1 or the 2-2-1 (for babybacks) are two examples. Personally, I gave up messing with all that years ago and just run 'em without and get great consistent results. If interested, see the sig recipe below.

Reactions: webs05
I didn't read thru everything above , I know it was good advice . Ribs are one of the things I can't eat the day I cook them . Always have to wait to the next day or longer . I'm not a fall off the bone guy , but yours look good to me .

Reactions: jbfromtennessee
like chopsaw says I usually do mine the day before and heat in the oven the next day or two,i don't wrap either I just pull them when they're done. also are you sure your thermometer is accurate.

Yes, for babies use the 2-2-1 method. Have to look at the smoke as a condiment. Too much over powers the food. Also, keep an eye on the smoke to make sure it is not white for too long, looking for that thin blue smoke. I also eats the ribs the next day, easier to slice when cold, then I throw them on the grill with a little bbq sauce. Delicious. But your ribs look real good!!!

Like people have stated try less rub. I take my ribs out if the fridge,wash them,pat them dry,apply a lite coating of rub and only let them sit 15 mins or so before I throw them on. I do the 3-2-1 sometime and when I do it more like 3-1-1 or so. Too much wrapping time makes them too soft for my liking

I didn't read thru everything above , I know it was good advice . Ribs are one of the things I can't eat the day I cook them . Always have to wait to the next day or longer . I'm not a fall off the bone guy , but yours look good to me .
my ribs taste much better to me when i put in the frig over night..somehow the flavor really comes out..

I believe ribs have the same "process" as spaghetti sauce does, they seem to taste better the next day... A restaurant I worked at smoked ribs one day a week, and then put them in the fridge until needed.The one guaranteed customer who always came in for ribs, only wanted his ribs cooked that same day as he said they tasted different the next day. Yup, he was right, they do/did taste different the day after.
I try to rub my ribs and fridge them overnight before smoking as I believe they do taste better, but if I only have a couple of hours notice, I will still rub hours before smoking. As far as 3-2-1, or 3-1-1 goes they stay in the smoker until they bend when lifted from one end; I do like a tiny bit of chew in my ribs coming off of the bone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky