1st ribs on my new electric not up to par

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wayne1332

Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
I put 4 racks of Baby backs on my new MES 40" today. Used the 2,2,1 method at 225 degrees. I have a maverick dual probe thermometer, but didn't use it relying instead on the internal thermometer of the cooker. The ribs were done and tasted great with the dry rub, but weren't easily pulled off the bone. Also, the meat never pulled back from the bone while cooking. just wondering if I should have cooked at a higher temp,or left them in longer.
Any suggestions from someone who has used an electric would be greatly appreciated.

I put 4 racks of Baby backs on my new MES 40" today. Used the 2,2,1 method at 225 degrees. I have a maverick dual probe thermometer, but didn't use it relying instead on the internal thermometer of the cooker. The ribs were done and tasted great with the dry rub, but weren't easily pulled off the bone. Also, the meat never pulled back from the bone while cooking. just wondering if I should have cooked at a higher temp,or left them in longer.
Any suggestions from someone who has used an electric would be greatly appreciated.
Hey I have a mes30 and if yours is like mine my factory thermometer is about 30 degrees off so set at 225 it would be running about 190 to 200. If there was no pull back on the bones they just wasn't done yet. If I get mine to 250 baby backs still take about 6 hrs with or without wrapping.

Thanks to all for the good advice. I'll get in the habit of using my maverick for future cooks. It has been my most valuable tool in the past. I shouldn't have smoked without it.

The way Al does his ribs by internal temp is fool proof 195 is just one click before falling off the bone with a bit of bite a chew the way we like them. The only draw back it that it requires a quick read temp probe with a probe thin enough and long enough to get an accurate reading. The good news is that you can remedy that situation for under $30. Ask Al he knows the one to buy. Well worth the investment if consistency is important to you.

Randy,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky