Beef Ribs (First offset smoke)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TexanTurk

Original poster
Jun 26, 2023
Finally had my first session on my Oaklahoma Joe's Highland after picking one up last month.

Maybe crazy, maybe stupid, but went all in with 8 racks of beef ribs right off the bat. I was a little nervous in the build up because it was a lot of expensive meat going on and my first time using an offset.

Went with oak wood from start to finish using some kiln dried Oak for the heat and then adding some of my own naturally seasoned splits as well.

Lit really easily then it was just a case of managing my splits to keep it going at good temps. Some larger splits smouldered instead of catching, so they were pulled and replaced by smaller splits before being split and used again.

At one point my stack of splits I had in the Firebox to pre-heat toppled and ignited setting off high temp alarms from the thermometer in the chamber and bellowing flames from the Firebox which was fun 🤣

All in all, my brother in law and I had fun and a good catch up whilst keeping an eye on it.

So the ribs... Trimmed the night before and reduced the fat for tallow which I used when it was time to wrap. Went with the good old 50/50 salt and pepper seasoning (yellow mustard as a binder)

Cooked for 8 hours or so (two thinner racks were done sooner) but overall really pleased with the results. Good bark on the ribs, really nice smoke ring and best of all they tasted amazing.

PXL_20230812_062046540.MP.jpg

PXL_20230812_064941815.MP.jpg
PXL_20230812_113148236.jpg
PXL_20230812_123145038.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230812_165442404.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20230812_141644612.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_075451733.jpg
    PXL_20230812_075451733.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 8
Ribs look great.
But what can you do with 8 racks of 3-bone ribs?
My wife's sister and brother in law were visiting from Ireland, and he's a big appetite kinda guy. Also had a friend over so that helped.

Between yesterday and today's lunch we got through six racks. Sold a rack to our neighbours and then gave the final rack to my dad to try. Sharing is caring 😁

Nice looking cook!! Need to do some ribs myself, something I have not done yet! Haha had a similar thing happen in my firebox before as my splits inside just ignited. Temps started shooting up and when I opened the door flames were shooting up like crazy!! Always fun playing with fire!!

Reactions: TexanTurk
Finally had my first session on my Oaklahoma Joe's Highland after picking one up last month.

Maybe crazy, maybe stupid, but went all in with 8 racks of beef ribs right off the bat. I was a little nervous in the build up because it was a lot of expensive meat going on and my first time using an offset.

Went with oak wood from start to finish using some kiln dried Oak for the heat and then adding some of my own naturally seasoned splits as well.

Lit really easily then it was just a case of managing my splits to keep it going at good temps. Some larger splits smouldered instead of catching, so they were pulled and replaced by smaller splits before being split and used again.

At one point my stack of splits I had in the Firebox to pre-heat toppled and ignited setting off high temp alarms from the thermometer in the chamber and bellowing flames from the Firebox which was fun 🤣

All in all, my brother in law and I had fun and a good catch up whilst keeping an eye on it.

So the ribs... Trimmed the night before and reduced the fat for tallow which I used when it was time to wrap. Went with the good old 50/50 salt and pepper seasoning (yellow mustard as a binder)

Cooked for 8 hours or so (two thinner racks were done sooner) but overall really pleased with the results. Good bark on the ribs, really nice smoke ring and best of all they tasted amazing.

View attachment 673407

View attachment 673413View attachment 673408View attachment 673409View attachment 673410View attachment 673411
Look great!!! God bless your patience. I bought a highland reverse flow a couple years ago, did all the mods and made it through about 4 cooks. I don't have the patience to babysit, especially in
S Florida heat/sun. plus we can't get shit for wood all he way down here. Mines on Marketplace as we speak. (but I did buy an MB gravity, then a WSM, which is my work horse now.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky