11.5lb pork loin..... ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gnarlykaw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Protem/St.Louis
42F63A42-D9AC-45B2-8D00-D64E8D15AE35.jpeg
short and sweet. The store has these on sale at 1.29lb! It was calling to me!
My plan was a peach dry rub, and just hammer it out, but with this web site, and it’s infinite wisdom, I thought I would put a shout out for other ideas. I’m no chef, but I do love trying different tastes.
Did a brisket the other day, and apparently, the family didn’t finish it.
I just made, with the help of my Queen, a Brisket hearty veggie soup.

Id get some and cure for Canadian bacon

Nice idea, but it needs to be a dinner. It is looking like I will still rub it down with a peach rub, and then cut it open, and lay down a small layer of home made apple sauce....

I'd cut it in half or in thirds and butterfly it. Then stuff the loin with an apple pie filling, roll it back up and tie it. Coat it with your favorite rub and smoke it to 140*.

Chris

Reactions: will work 4 bbq
Well, I ended up filling it with a canned apple sauce. I didn’t tie it, I left it butterflied. Let’s just calll it a live and learn..... the meat looked great, texture is great, the taste, not so good.
I had a light peach rub on it as well as the apple butter. Didn’t even look that great. I guess I’ll cover it with gravy, that way I can hide my poor judgment!

Chris, ironically, I found the monthly contest thread, using apples in your cook! I like your idea about using pie filling!
I’ll bring my confidence back by doing some ribs in a couple of weeks!

Hi there and welcome!
I always like to recommend simplicity and then work from there.

If you have any pork loin left cut a 1 1/2 chop.
Season both sides with Salt, Pepper, Onion, and Garlic (SPOG).
Grill on a super hot grill like it was a steak, to Medium (just hit 145F Internal Temp.
Eat with a fork and a knife as though it were steak and prepare to be amazed!!!!

If you can get that down then you basically can build from here whether you take pork loin and smoke, oven roast, pan cook, etc. etc.. If you smoke or oven roast I would make the chops at least 2 inches thick and brine in a salt water brine for a day. Remove from the water, pat somewhat dry and season with Pepper, Onion, and Garlic and then smoke them or oven roast them again to Medium/145F IT.

Get the smoke and/or oven roast of a chop down and then you shouldn't have any issue doing butterfly chops that taste good because you know that if you start with this amazing base approach you can't really mess it up too badly :)

I hope this info helps :)

Thanks for the tip! FWIW, I seasoned, and went straight to the smoker.... mistake!! I got too excited with such a large piece of pork loin...

I'd cut it in half or in thirds and butterfly it. Then stuff the loin with an apple pie filling, roll it back up and tie it. Coat it with your favorite rub and smoke it to 140*.

Chris
Hell yes i just thought of this idea got online and here it is staring me in the face. But want to do the whole loin. I just dont know how long it will take.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky