or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deer Sausage

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I was going through the pics on my phone and realized I never posted pics of our deer sausage adventure. We have been doing our own sausage for about 6 years now. We have always smoked it in an old fridge smoker at my dads buddy's shop but decided to break away from them and do it at my brothers house. We bought an industrial Hobart fridge and gutted all pieces that could melt. We then took a turkey frier burner and mounted it to the floor. For smoke we drilled a 1" hole and mounted a smoke daddy to it. Here is the finished smoker.



Now for the sausage we do 50/50 deer and pork. We add excalibur seasoning, sure cure, dried jalapeño and pepper jack high temp cheese. The meat is double ground for smooth texture. It seems it gets better every year. We use a mix of cherry and hickory chips in the smoke daddy. We smoked at 225 until it hit and internal temp of 160. We then let it hang until the morning once it was done.


175 lb of sausage hanging in the smoker and still have all kinds of room in that hoss of a smoker lol.






And here it is all done and hanging on my brother car lift for the night. We then cut it in half and vac packed and into the freezer. Sorry I don't have any sliced pics. Thanks for looking!

Shelton
post #2 of 12
Very nice.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thank ya sir!

Shelton
post #4 of 12
Very nice. What vac sealer do you have? My vac sealer just died this past fall. Parts are more then I'm willing to pay for a sealer made in the mid '80s
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post

Very nice. What vac sealer do you have? My vac sealer just died this past fall. Parts are more then I'm willing to pay for a sealer made in the mid '80s

I'm not 100% sure cause it's my brother's. It's a food saver brand in stainless. I want to say he paid like 180 for it but not real sure.

Shelton
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelton573 View Post

I'm not 100% sure cause it's my brother's. It's a food saver brand in stainless. I want to say he paid like 180 for it but not real sure.

Shelton

They look better than cabelas stainless i got this past xmas. Mine just dont seem to work well at all, but im also coming from a commercial chamber style.
post #7 of 12

S573, Nice looking sausage !:points:

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post


They look better than cabelas stainless i got this past xmas. Mine just dont seem to work well at all, but im also coming from a commercial chamber style.

His is pretty stout.  I bet that commercial one was nice!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMoon View Post
 

S573, Nice looking sausage !:points:

Thanks!

 

Shelton

post #9 of 12

Dang it man them looks goooouuuuuudddddd!!!! nice set up, I bet that shop smells good also

 

A FULL Smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post
 

Dang it man them looks goooouuuuuudddddd!!!! nice set up, I bet that shop smells good also

 

A FULL Smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS


Thank ya!  It worked out good for the first run we ever did with it.  Looking forward to doing it again next year. 

 

Shelton 

post #11 of 12

Shelton, really nice job on the smoker build along with the sausage. People don't realize how much work it is to make sausage...it truly is a labor of love

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubbas BBQ View Post
 

Shelton, really nice job on the smoker build along with the sausage. People don't realize how much work it is to make sausage...it truly is a labor of love


Thank you very much!  This year was actually a little more work than the previous years because before we used the industrial size grinder at the old place and this year we double ground all 175 lb with two table top grinders but it still only took us about an hour and a half to double grind.  We made up some time by running two hand crank stuffers.  It was still a lot of fun though.  We drank wayyyyy too many beers and before I headed south to Missouri I grabbed 18 lb of Iowa chops and we threw those on the barrel while we worked.  Over all it was a real good weekend.

 

Shelton

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage