or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Salmon a la Bearcarver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Salmon a la Bearcarver - Page 2

post #21 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Disco

It looks GREAT!!!! As always a nice Qview.

th_crybaby2.gifI'm poor folk. Maybe I can go catch a carpth_dunno-1[1].gif

Happy smoken.

David

Start cultivating friends who fish!

 

Disco

post #22 of 35
Geez, I guess I should feel a little guilty having a upright freezer overflowing with recently caught King Salmon that the Mrs has been catching?

And having to keep complaining about having to smoke more and more just to make more room for next weekends catch?

NOT!!!

It's all her fault
uve9yqyh.jpg
post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinHusker View Post

Wow Disco that looks fantastic and the tutorial/instructions are so easy to follow. I've smoked salmon but only after marinading in Yoshida's and some fresh grated ginger. Now I'll have to give "Salmon a la Bearcarver" a try. I've got some wild sockeye in the freezer.

Thanks, Alesia. I really like Bear's recipe. It comes out chewy like I used to get as a kid. Most of the smoked salmon now is done at higher temperatures and is like cooked salmon with a smoke flavour. This stuff is great on a cracker with a cold beverage.

 

Disco

post #24 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

That looks delish Disco!

 

I love Salmon...but it's crazy expensive here.  Lynn loves Salmon patties...so that way we both get some.  Sigh...and yes it's fried!

 

Kat

Thanks, Kat.

 

It is very expensive here too but the missus likes it and she deserves treats after 38 years of marriage.

 

I was raised on salmon cakes for breakfast. My mom would open a tin of salmon and mix it with an egg, some left over potatoes and some chopped onion. Hm, might have to make that again for old times sake.

 

Disco

post #25 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmayna View Post

Geez, I guess I should feel a little guilty having a upright freezer overflowing with recently caught King Salmon that the Mrs has been catching?

And having to keep complaining about having to smoke more and more just to make more room for next weekends catch?

NOT!!!

It's all her fault

There is no need to feel guilty. Just give me some of the salmon!

 

Disco

post #26 of 35

Disco,

If only you were closer to me,  we could have a smokin' party.     What I like is the fact that there are so many different Smoked Salmon recipes out there.  I will sometimes brine a couple filet's this way and then a couple more that way.   Then put them in the smoker all at once.  It's fun doing a tasting party.

post #27 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmayna View Post

Disco,

If only you were closer to me,  we could have a smokin' party.     What I like is the fact that there are so many different Smoked Salmon recipes out there.  I will sometimes brine a couple filet's this way and then a couple more that way.   Then put them in the smoker all at once.  It's fun doing a tasting party.

Har, it is a little far, even for salmon!

 

I like multiple treatments for similar meat in one smoke too. The best part is your guests can find one that suits them.

 

Disco

post #28 of 35

I always skin Pink Salmon ( Humpys ) . They get a slime on them that can drip off and makes it very unappetizing. Your salmon looks great!!!

post #29 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post

I always skin Pink Salmon ( Humpys ) . They get a slime on them that can drip off and makes it very unappetizing. Your salmon looks great!!!

Thanks Mike. I always grilled my salmon before and never had a problem with the skin as it always crisped up. I can see where it would be less palatable smoked.

 

Disco

post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

Thanks Mike. I always grilled my salmon before and never had a problem with the skin as it always crisped up. I can see where it would be less palatable smoked.

 

Disco

 

When I was a kid, we used to fry or grill our trout. My favorite parts were the skin & the crispy tail.

 

Nowadays a lot of the toxic crap is stored under the skin, so we no longer eat the skin.

 

Also there didn't used to be a State recommended daily/weekly limit for fish consumption.

 

So many things we got to do as kids that kids today can't.

 

 

Bear

post #31 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

 

When I was a kid, we used to fry or grill our trout. My favorite parts were the skin & the crispy tail.

 

Nowadays a lot of the toxic crap is stored under the skin, so we no longer eat the skin.

 

Also there didn't used to be a State recommended daily/weekly limit for fish consumption.

 

So many things we got to do as kids that kids today can't.

 

 

Bear

Well, I have eaten some salmon skin in my time but, mostly, I just grilled skin side down cause it was easier to take off the grill. Still thinking about it.

 

When we were kids, my mom would make a pork roast and we'd fight over the "cracklins" the skin and fat that had crisped up. My doctor would have a fit if I even mentioned it.

 

Disco

post #32 of 35

Good looking Salmon. Now I start saving my pennies for a piece of Salmon.

 

I hate being poor and no way out icon_eek.gif.

 

have fun and . . .

post #33 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolbbq View Post

Good looking Salmon. Now I start saving my pennies for a piece of Salmon.

 

I hate being poor and no way out icon_eek.gif.

 

have fun and . . .

Thanks. Just keep checking the frozen food section. Every once and a while, they have some on sale. The best part is that the health recommendation for salmon is that it should be frozen to eliminate parasites.

 

Disco

post #34 of 35

Nice looking Salmon plate, Disco!

My son and I are heading up to Tofino for a few days. Looking to get in some serious salmon fishing, hopefully catching a few like that one cmayna's wife is holding. Nice fish! I will have to try 'Salmon a la Bearcarver' with some of it, it looked very tasty.

post #35 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bince View Post

Nice looking Salmon plate, Disco!

My son and I are heading up to Tofino for a few days. Looking to get in some serious salmon fishing, hopefully catching a few like that one cmayna's wife is holding. Nice fish! I will have to try 'Salmon a la Bearcarver' with some of it, it looked very tasty.

 

Sorry about missing your post, Bince. I love Tofino and the west coast of the Island and haven't been there in years. Good luck with the fishing! Disco
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fish
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Salmon a la Bearcarver