Best flavor wood for salmon? &Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
Anyone have a suggestion for smoked salmon?

Right now I have a pellet blend of pecan/cherry/oak from B&B.

Any suggestions other than that?

I also plan on double smoking some pre done sausage if I can find what I want. Should I do that before, after, during? Or does it not matter? I’ll probably not switch the pellets for that.

Reactions: JLeonard
Traditionally, it has been Alder. Many have branched over to Apple, Pecan and other fruity flavored woods. I smoke Salmon starting out with Alder and then switch over to Apple.

When I cold smoke salmon for the bride and her family I usually go with apple in an AMAZEN tray, but, most all pellets these days are a mixture of a "hardwood" and then the wood it's advertised as.

She has also loved the flavor of alder, but I used chips for that

Just a couple pics. Sausage was good but only the polish sausage seemed to get any smoke on it. The salmon did fine, but I wasn’t as happy with the apple/cherry blend I tried though I did that after just a little of the bnb championship blend went through.

Still good though I think instead of a whole piece I’ll do smaller cut pieces.

IMG_0393.jpeg

IMG_0394.jpeg

IMG_0391.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

IMG_0395.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

Reactions: jcam222
The (unfortunately) handful of times Ive smoked kings, steelhead or even brownies, Ive used either cherry or apple. I like to do a overnight brine and rub brown sugar and rhubarb into them before smoking. They are sooo good! Like meat candy!

This was a bakkafrost salmon which my wife bought but I’m unfamiliar with. It was good, but I’ve made better. I did brine it for 4 hours, then rinsed lightly and let the Pellicle form. Smoked it until it hit about 150, as I wanted to be sure it was done throughout.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Add a smoke tube filled with pellets of choice if you want real smoked flavor.
My pellet pooper is not a great smoker. "Smoke" mode produces billowing clouds of white smoke.

A cherry and apple combo is excellent.
Man, you have the cleanest smoker I've ever seen, you need to slop a little sauce around in that thing to break it in. :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
I tried apple and cherry and then found some Alder chunks from a mill in Washington. That Alder is all I use for salmon now.

Reactions: nlife
A cherry and apple combo is excellent.
Man, you have the cleanest smoker I've ever seen, you need to slope a little sauce around in that thing to break it in. :emoji_laughing:
Well some of that might be the stainless steel, some that i get a little anal about keeping my stuff clean haha. But mainly I have only smoked 3 things on it so far. The weather isn't conducive to using it right now, and there isn't an easy path from the patio where it resides to being placed under the overhang of the garage.

My next challenge which i'll need help with is brisket. My wife has always propped up my ego telling me the few times I've tried its been great. I know better. I'd have thrown a couple of them right into the trash if she didn't stop me.

But I hold my cooking in high regard. There isn't a much worse day for me than when I try to prepare something and it doesn't live to my standard.

Right now I have a pellet blend of pecan/cherry/oak from B&B.
That's what I run in my SmokeFire . I like 'em .

I don't do fish , but for sausage I use Beech or Oak in a 12" tube . Mix in some mesquite or cherry for color . I use the MES for that .

Reactions: tpc74
Well some of that might be the stainless steel, some that i get a little anal about keeping my stuff clean haha. But mainly I have only smoked 3 things on it so far. The weather isn't conducive to using it right now, and there isn't an easy path from the patio where it resides to being placed under the overhang of the garage.

My next challenge which i'll need help with is brisket. My wife has always propped up my ego telling me the few times I've tried its been great. I know better. I'd have thrown a couple of them right into the trash if she didn't stop me.

But I hold my cooking in high regard. There isn't a much worse day for me than when I try to prepare something and it doesn't live to my standard.
When I was looking up best smoke for fish I saw tons of info and recommendations for Alder. I do use it for my salmon (only fish I smoke) and I'm a big fan.

As for sausage my favorite blend is about 70% Apple and 30% Hickory.
Also I like 100% Maple for my sausage/sandwich meat like Bologna, Pastrami, etc. which I've made from ground sausage meat. Maple is my go too "for anything" wood like this. I'm sooooo over Oak as it is used for everything around here forever now lol :D

Be sure to ask a ton of questions and get all the info on doing a brisket. It's actually not hard to do, it's just easy to mess up due to the number of things involved which start from buying the brisket all the way through to resting the brisket at the end.
Major brisket tip: Plan a ton of time for it so you don't pull it before it's done, AND it's only done when it is tender all over. Never done by time or temp :D
That's a good start but there are easily a dozen more factors/steps to write down to have a really good successful brisket attempt :D

Alder is the choice for salmon for everyone I know that smokes salmon around here. It's a lighter smoke that really pairs well with salmon and fish. It's also pretty easy to come by growing naturally around here.

Reactions: tallbm
Idk if you can see this but just a lil ref guide

Attachments

• IMG_6924.jpeg
    IMG_6924.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky