Smoked Yellow Perch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I love to ice fish for yellow perch
IMG_1140.jpg

I brought home a batch yesterday
IMG_1142.jpg

I filleted them up
IMG_1147.jpg

Got my brine ingredients ready and soaked them overnight
IMG_1143.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg

I air dried in the house for an hour to form a pellicle on the fillets
IMG_1149 1.jpg

Into the smoker with no chips for an hour at 140ish. I bumped the temp up to 160* and added a pan of apple chips. 2 hours later they were done and tasty.
IMG_1152.jpg

Bagged up and put in the fridge for snacking. Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_1153 1.jpg

Oh man CM, that all looks phenomenal my friend! I really enjoy perch and could do some serious damage to those with a couple cold ones! You need my address? 😉

Seriously, nice job on those!

Reactions: crazymoon
Nice job.
I would be interested in your brine ingredients for smoking them as we catch a lot of them and walleye and northern pike. Should work for them as well.

Nice job.
I would be interested in your brine ingredients for smoking them as we catch a lot of them and walleye and northern pike. Should work for them as well.
KBF, Here you go,I like this one very much, may have to adjust volume for amount of fish. I leave in the brine overnight and then drain rinse,air dry and smoke:
1 quart water
4 Tbs. non-iodized salt
1/2 cup white sugar
3 ounces of rum
1 ounce lemon juice
3 sections garlic
3 Tbs. pickling spice
1/4 tsp. lemon pepper
3 bay leaves

Reactions: KBFlyer
Love those yellow perch. I grew up in Cleveland and used to catch those off the break wall or row boat E 9th street pier. Then they shut that fishery down due to mercury. Still like to get them up by Lake Erie Islands. Always had them fried never smoked...will have to try that. Great post.

RG

Looks great , but I'd be frying them up also .
Either way I bet they wouldn't last long .
CS, I also bake fillets with Shore Lunch seasoning, deep fry them with batter or crumb mix and my favorite is a casserole with butter, Panko Seasoning and a hint of garlic. Possibilities are endless, I've caught my limit the last 3 times out with another week of good weather coming up . :)

Last edited:
Nice passel of fish there CM. The filets look great. We used to go a lot on the ice for perch it was a big group and we would spend the day then filet and have a big fish fry. Was a ton of fun, haven’t been the last several years though. I’ve never smoked them but I’d bet they are delicious. Nice work.

Those look awesome crazymoon crazymoon , I might have to go target some of them. They' ve been getting some 13" in my area, i personally have not come across them. Gotta bookmark recipe, thanks for posting.

Oh man those looks tasty! My son comment just two days ago that he holes fishing this is year is better than last, ie catching yellow perk. We love yellow perch and those would hit the spot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky