- 144 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Location: Indy
- Points: 11
- Select All Posts By This User
- topicBriskettagged by Venture, 11/15/13
Related Forum Threads
- Prepping Brisket Last post on 9/18/15 at 6:42am in Beef
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- Question on smoking a brisket and ribs together Last post on 12/24/14 at 6:37am in General Discussion
- First Brisket, Question regarding cut of meat Last post on 12/19/14 at 1:18pm in Beef
- Small Pretrimmed brisket...First time! Last post on 12/20/14 at 2:27pm in Beef
Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
Last edited: 9/22/12
- Geeks Basic BrisketLast edited: 4/28/11
- Brisket Separation TechniqueLast edited: 9/9/10
- Red Bell Pepper Rub Naturally Sweet And Mildy Spicy No SugarLast edited: 8/28/13
- Brisket Marinade And RubLast edited: 5/25/10
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
I have smoked ribs, beer can chicken, pork butts, chicken breasts, all have turned out great. I just turn it on set the temp and forget it.
What's the highest temp you had a brisket stall at?post #1 of 55/19/13 at 9:22amThread StarterI put a brisket on at 2am and this morning at 8 it was at 180 so I wrapped and threw it in the oven. Well that was over 4 hours ago and it's just now 185. Seems to be moving really slow. So I was thinking maybe that it was in the stall. I didn't know if they happened at that high of a temp?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 55/19/13 at 9:43am
I've had stalls well above 180*, depending on conditions. One thing to remember about handling meats is that once you remove to foil, etc. you reduce thermal absorption rates, and this can in turn prolong an existing stall, or simulate a stall. A true stall is a result of natural moisture in the meat evaporating to cause a cooling effect. The temp at which a stall hits can be effected by smoke chamber temp, temp stability, smoke chamber humidity, type and quantity of dry rub and wrapped/rested after rub application(?!?!?), among other factors.
I mention rub and prep process because salt can cause an early formation of bark, which can reduce evaporation of internal moisture from the meat, causing a higher temp stall to occur, as the moisture has been reduced enough for the meat temp to continue rising. A dry smoke chamber (low humidity) will also cause early bark formation giving the same result. With a dry smoke chamber you will notice much higher retained natural moisture in higher finished temp meats, but may also see very long stalls as a result of the whole process.
Hang in there...the stalls are where everything is really getting happy inside, so just let it happen.
Ericpost #3 of 511/15/13 at 2:45pm
I have a small brisket (4 lbs) and it has been stalled at 172 (Maverick) for several hours. It has been in an MES for 8 hours and I am about to foil it and put it in the oven. Toothpick goes in hard in several places. This is my first brisket btw. Usually do pork.post #4 of 511/15/13 at 3:17pmpost #5 of 511/15/13 at 3:52pm
Well I foiled it and put it back in the smoker....... going out for Mexican dinner tonight.....Be back in 3 hours to see how things look. Maybe a few Margaritas will fix things !
- What's the highest temp you had a brisket stall at?
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Geeks Basic Brisket
- › Cured Chicken sausage... how pink should it look? 1 minute ago
- › Another New b 3 minutes ago
- › AMNPS in WSM 3 minutes ago
- › Cold smoked bones and hocks 4 minutes ago
- › Cured pork belly question 5 minutes ago
- › Cleaning a Cast Iron Pan - Using water and electricity 12 minutes ago
- › Another smoked hock terrine 14 minutes ago
- › Newbie from Wisconsin 15 minutes ago
- › Eye of Round Thai Jerky 16 minutes ago
- › Hamburger recipe 21 minutes ago
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter by Cornman
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot