Hey guys, I started my first UDS project yesterday and I thought I'd share my progress with y'all.
A couple things:
I bought a food-grade drum for $15 that had a green exterior and a yellow liner (it used to hold apple juice) because I couldn't find any reasonably priced unlined drums.
I wasn't sure how tough it was to get the liner off, so I was a little worried.
I pulled out my angle grinder with a wire wheel and tried it before the burnout. This was the result:
Came off extremely easy. However, I didn't want to wirewheel the whole thing off, and I needed to do a burn anyways, so I burnt it out.
Drilled four 1" holes with a step bit for intake, filled it up with some 2X4's and let 'er burn:
With a little bit of pre-Fourth of July fireworks for good measure:
Emptied it out, rinsed it with a hose, and wiped it with some denatured alcohol then hit it with some orange spray paint (Go Tigers!):
That's all I've done so far, about to go back out right not to work on it some more. I bought a cheap kettle grill from Walmart that has a hinge I want to attach to the barrel, so we'll see how that goes. I'll provide more pictures later today.