First time UDS build with pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cbtiger

Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Clemson, SC
Hey guys, I started my first UDS project yesterday and I thought I'd share my progress with y'all.

A couple things:

I bought a food-grade drum for $15 that had a green exterior and a yellow liner (it used to hold apple juice) because I couldn't find any reasonably priced unlined drums.

I wasn't sure how tough it was to get the liner off, so I was a little worried.

I pulled out my angle grinder with a wire wheel and tried it before the burnout.  This was the result:

Came off extremely easy.  However, I didn't want to wirewheel the whole thing off, and I needed to do a burn anyways, so I burnt it out.

Drilled four 1" holes with a step bit for intake, filled it up with some 2X4's and let 'er burn:

With a little bit of pre-Fourth of July fireworks for good measure:

Emptied it out, rinsed it with a hose, and wiped it with some denatured alcohol then hit it with some orange spray paint (Go Tigers!):

That's all I've done so far, about to go back out right not to work on it some more.  I bought a cheap kettle grill from Walmart that has a hinge I want to attach to the barrel, so we'll see how that goes.  I'll provide more pictures later today.

Well I finished the thing yesterday, I'll post pictures when I get the chance.  The kettle lid was a bit too small to fit on the barrel snug so I had to find a way to make it fit.  I decided to cut off the lip of the bottom of the grill and attach it to the drum (I cut it so I could stretch it to fit the drum, you can see it in the pictures).  All I needed to do to the hinges was drill some new holes in them because they didn't line up perfectly.  Overall I was surprised at how well everything fit together, with this being my first time and all.  The picture are on my phone and I will upload them in a bit.

PS I smoked 10 pound of pork belly for bacon and a 9 lb pork shoulder in the thing and they were both absolutely delicious (first time smoking, too!)

One 9.4 lbs. pork belly (cut into two pieces) going on for the inaugural smoke:

After 6 hours at 215 degrees:

Slicing:

Took the skin off as it was rather tough while eating:

9 lbs. pork shoulder after rub

Shoulder getting smoked

After 12 hours at 235 degrees:

Sliced up bacon, a little out of order

Everything was absolutely delicious and worked out better than I expected

Well done CB!!!  Welcome to the drum club!!!

yahoo.gif

What's the reason to cold smoke it?  Also, how do you do that in a UDS?  I feel like it would get too hot.

What's the reason to cold smoke it?  Also, how do you do that in a UDS?  I feel like it would get too hot.
hey cbtiger

the reason to cold smoke is to add smoke flavor and still have raw meat. i also cold smoke cheese in my UDS. i have a side smoke chamber that i use a AMNPS smoke generator in. the sun will get the UDS hotter than the AMNPS does. take a look at my build if you get a chance.

happy smoken.

David

UDS build

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...divorced-smoke-chamber-for-amnps-lots-of-pics

bacon cold smoke

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...bacon-in-my-deluxe-uds-with-amnps-with-q-veiw

Last edited:
Reactions: webowabo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky