I was asked by my mother in law to bring a ham to supper tonight. I gladly obliged.
I stopped at the local butcher shop/grocery store, the've been the same little building probably for the last 60 years. I love that place.
I grabbed a 10# bone in ham for 2.59/lb. I'm going to re-smoke it over some cherry.
I love it, it comes wrapped in butcher paper and twine. I scored the ham and managed to squeeze it into my mini uds.
I have electrified the UDS with a couple of coils from an electric range, an old Omron E5C controller and a solid state relay. I love my junk pile.
The temperature turned cold today -8 Canadian during the day today (17 American). With the coils on 120 V, they draw 8.3 amps total for the pair, that's almost 1000 watts. After putting the ham on, I found that it couldn't get to temperature... panic mode.
I have a split plug in the front of the house for the block heaters, so I found 240V pretty quick with two extension cords. I patched into there and quickly melted wires... started over with only one coil.. the two were making over 4000 watts in a 15 gallon drum!. One coil pulls 8.4 amps at 240V, 2016 watts. This worked very well. I have a coffee can on the coil which I drop cherry chunks into. My neighbour mills flooring and moulding and gave me a few pieces of scrap unfinished cherry!
The Omron on the left is controlling the smoker temp. It says Celcius, but I changed it internally to F. The Watlow on the right is probing the ham.
Here's the ham prior to putting the maple syrup / brown sugar glaze on it.
That's where I'm at now, I will get more pics as it progresses. I already cut a chunk off for a taste, and it's amazing.
This is an addiction.
I could never have done this without SMF!
Any questions, please ask away.