Yardbirds on the new WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
When we got married back in 1992, we received a smaller WSM as a wedding gift, and I made good use of it. For some reason, I quit using it, and quit smoking in general, until I purchased a MES about eight years ago. The MES has been used quite a lot, and I wanted something with more smokey flavor, so I recently bought a 22.5 WSM. What to smoke on its maiden voyage? I felt like a couple of whole chickens would be a good choice.

IMG_20210722_141150295.jpg

I like to spatch. Even cooking, and usually finishes faster.

IMG_20210722_145313563.jpg

It's been a while...

IMG_20210722_193006939.jpg

We ate over half of bird number one before I realized I hadn't taken any pics.

1627004403467.jpg

IMG_20210722_193137371.jpg

1627004498189.jpg

I used some repurposed bourbon barrel chunks that my sister gave me, and this turned out amazing. I had figured on a three- to four-hour smoke, but this stalled around 140 and wouldn't budge, so I finished them in the oven. Still came out great. I feel like I need to get used to my new toy, so I'm looking forward to more smokes soon.

Looks good. How did you like the flavor compared to the MES
The flavor was probably better, but I'm anxious to test it out on ribs, pulled pork, and maybe some summer sausage. With the MES, I was using the mailbox mod along with the chip tray, just to get something close to the smokiness I wanted. The MES is definitely easier, but anything worth having is worth working for.

Looks great and congratulations on the new toy! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Looks good! Look forward to seeing more goodies come off your new toy!

Ryan

May have been a while but it looks like you did not lose your touch. The birds look fantastic.

Robert

Nice color on those birds . It's nice to have options .
Thanks for posting .

Beautiful yard birds indeed! I agree, while chicken is good in the MES you picked the right cooker. Particularly for the ability of the higher temps than 275.

I agree, birds look awesome! Great job and congratulations on getting the 22!

Once you get comfortable with the WSM, it’s pretty much “set it and forget it” !
The temp climbed quickly to 220 right away, so I nearly closed all three bottom vents to try to keep it around 205. I even played with the top vent. I was able to keep it right around 200-205, but couldn't get the temp up when the birds stalled at 140, no matter what I did. Any advice for raising the smoker temp later in a smoke?

The temp climbed quickly to 220 right away, so I nearly closed all three bottom vents to try to keep it around 205. I even played with the top vent. I was able to keep it right around 200-205, but couldn't get the temp up when the birds stalled at 140, no matter what I did. Any advice for raising the smoker temp later in a smoke?
Spatchcock chicken on the WSM, my temperature is around 325-350. Like an 1hr30-2hr smoke.
Your temp was too low at start then you cut off the oxygen. You need to slowly adjust vents when temps get around 25 degrees of your desired temperature of the pit.
Not getting the temperature back up again sounds like to many coals lost there fire.
For raising the temperature in later in the smoke: Open up all vents and let it ride.

Reactions: bertman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky