WSM 1st overnight brisket, advice please -- Weber Smokey Mountain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I can't speak for how Franklin cooks his briskets, but I'm pretty sure he's using an offset smoker and not a WSM. I also can't argue with his success or wisdom. The man is the brisket king.

Most folks prefer to cook the point/flat combo. You'll need to separate them when the flat is done. The point is much fattier(internally) then the flat. Also you can make burnt ends with the point. If you decide on a full packer then you'll probably need to go overnight, if the flat - then I'd start it the morning of.

Good luck and keep on asking questions.

Chris

Correct on the offset, great book by the way.

So between my two localist meat markets, I can get a whole choice from one for $5.59 per pound (I think I have a coupon around for $5 off) or the other one has just flats for around $4.20 per pound...

Trimming - No it doesn't matter, at least to me it doesn't. As for the type of brisket. I'm not going to make a suggestion to you on that one. That's entirely up to you - your budget and how much time you want to invest in cooking process. I as well as many others on the forum will be here to help you out with which ever you choose. Good luck and may the brisket gods be with you.

Chris

Trimming - No it doesn't matter, at least to me it doesn't. As for the type of brisket. I'm not going to make a suggestion to you on that one. That's entirely up to you - your budget and how much time you want to invest in cooking process. I as well as many others on the forum will be here to help you out with which ever you choose. Good luck and may the brisket gods be with you.

Chris

I appreciate it. I've already invested in butcher paper, boning knife, slicing knife, some oak wood, a rub shaker and Franklin's book (been wanting to get for a while) so I guess at this point I just want the best hunk of meat I can get.

Had a bit of an oh shit moment tonight when I tried to tighten a gasket and instead bent it out if place. Going to order a kit and just use that one as my main open vent I suppose, really shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck with which ever one you choose, and remember we're here to help. Sounds like your well prepared.

Chris

Reactions: mng024
just did a full packer cut over the weekend in a WSM...started at 2am was done around 5 no wrap .. just let it push through the stall ..
41991715_10217100545924082_1885525814431186944_n.jpg
42089514_10217100545844080_2127652830511628288_n.jpg
41865080_10217100546004084_7836968598139568128_n.jpg

Reactions: mng024
I think I'm going to the market that just sells flats as I would like to do the smoke starting early morning now with how the weekend is looking. Since I can't hand pick the brisket there, what should I ask for when they are grabbing me one? Just one that has nice marbeling and seems even in thickness?

Got my brisket, 10# whole. Super uneven on the flat unfortunately, anything I should do trimming wise for that?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1697827591.jpg
    Snapchat-1697827591.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 62
Got my brisket, 10# whole. Super uneven on the flat unfortunately, anything I should do trimming wise for that?
It may relax a bit into a more uniform shape once out of the cryovac. I've heard some people fold the thinnest corner of the flat under itself on the smoker, simulating a thicker flat and more even cooking... Never tried it myself, I just throw it on no trimming at all.

Hard to tell while it's still packed up. If it stays the same(unpacked) you can either run with it the way it is, do as doughboybob suggests(I've seen folks do this), or if it's really thin trim it off so you have an even piece. If you cut it and smoke it at the same time pull it when it's done and enjoy it while you cook, or add it another meal - chili, hash, etc.

Chris

Hard to tell while it's still packed up. If it stays the same(unpacked) you can either run with it the way it is, do as doughboybob suggests(I've seen folks do this), or if it's really thin trim it off so you have an even piece. If you cut it and smoke it at the same time pull it when it's done and enjoy it while you cook, or add it another meal - chili, hash, etc.

Chris

I think if it doesn't shape up at all that I will cut that whole piece off to keep it more uniform. Could I freeze it after cooking and save for Chili?

Yes indeedallydoodally. No problem with freezing either prior to smoke or post.

Chris

just trim like 1/4 " and square it off .no rinse ..pat dry and texas style S&P .

Brisket is patted dry and hopefully coming to shape. Just got charcoal prepped with 3 big chunks of oak buried. Trying to do as much as I can tonight so I can wake up and have things. Being assisted by Founders Kalamazoo stout as fall is officially here.

Attachments

• 20180921_222321.jpg
    20180921_222321.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 58
Trimmed, ending up having quite a bit of hard fat and also wanted to even out the flat. Ended up taking off about 2 pounds but a big chunk was evening out the flat. I'm happy with it

Attachments

• 20180921_225706.jpg
    20180921_225706.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20180921_225726.jpg
    20180921_225726.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180921_232244.jpg
    20180921_232244.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180921_232237.jpg
    20180921_232237.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 42
Well, I started out by having my top grate slip as I was placing the brisket on and then falling into the water pan, lol....oh well, I don't think too much damage was done (fingers crossed)

3 hours in and I hit my stall around 158*, going to spritz every 30 min or so while in the stall and wrap when it pushes through.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky