Wood chunks on a UDS and temp control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQgrasshopper30

Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
So I am new to the UDS and doing my 3rd cook. Currently trying to do some reverse seared skirt steak for some fajitas. Im just going to lay out my process and ask my question at the end. Bare with me.

I filled up my charcoal basket with regular royal oak lump charcoal.

I lit a Full chimney with royal oak lump and 2 tumble weeds and waited about 15 minutes once lit. The charcoal was starting to get white on top and everything underneath was cherry red

Dumped the chimney in the basket evenly on top and threw on one chunk of hickory. I placed the heat diffuser plate on top and the grill grate inside, opened the exhaust wide open and one of the two intakes wide open.

Within a few minutes the temp hit 220 and I closed the intake to about a pinky finger width. At this point there is smoke coming out of the exhaust, looks blue but visible. I wait a good thirty minutes and the temp has worked it’s way back down to 225 and there is no visible smoke. I opened the one intake a finger width and kept the other one closed. After 20 minutes the temp settled at 240, but there is still no visible smoke coming out at all.

currently, I just placed my skirt steak on the UDS and temp holding at 250 with no smoke.

questions:

- did my chunk of hickory already burn up before I put on the meat?

- was my fire going out when the temp was dropping?

-how do I keep that thin blue smoke billowing out of the chunks are already burning up before I get my smoker temp regulated for the cook?

Attachments

• 20616C7F-5A5A-45F9-86CD-86077A378B18.jpeg
    20616C7F-5A5A-45F9-86CD-86077A378B18.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 22
Never used one but try putting the wood on the diffusion plate and not on the coals directly

I opened the lid up once my skirt steak got up to Temp. Seared it with a torch and took it off. Temp is running at 285 now and plenty of that thin blue smoke i have been hearing about. Maybe it likes running at 285?

Yes I think your chunk burnt up on the hot coals. When doing a smoke of an hour or 2 on mine I will use the minion method with hardwood chunks scattered through. Hope this helps. They are great cookers once ya figure them out.

Reactions: BBQgrasshopper30
Yes I think your chunk burnt up on the hot coals. When doing a smoke of an hour or 2 on mine I will use the minion method with hardwood chunks scattered through. Hope this helps. They are great cookers once ya figure them out.

How do you place your wood chunks on longer cooks and light your charcoal for long cooks?

I use the minion method. Lite one end and it will slowly burn throughout a cook. How thick you place your coals will determine the length of time you can achieve. I've done 12+ hour briskets using this method. I place my chunks in a way as to smoke when the meat is uncovered. I don't place chunks in the coals where the meat will be wrapped. It gets easier as you go.

How do you place your wood chunks on longer cooks and light your charcoal for long cooks?
I usually do the Harry Soo method by placing my chunks near the vents but under the coals. I find this to be pretty good and you won't burn your wood up before you put your meat gets smoke. If you choose to add wood after your coals are lit. I usually don't add it until it is at proper temp and just before I load the meat into the pit.

Usually mixed a 1/2 dozen smaller wood chunks throughout the charcoal. Always started banking things down 25 below my desired temp.
Mine ran about 250 with one intake half open

Last edited:
Reactions: BBQgrasshopper30
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky