Why does my smoker could things faster then recommend time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mashburn

Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
I have cooked many things in the past and it always does it in half the time. here is the example for today.

Turkey that is 20 pounds. 

- raised the temperture to get the chips hot and then lowered the temp to 225.

- Put in the middle of my vertical smoker because of the size of it. 

- checked the temp 15 minutes later and the temp raised to 250. I adjusted and brought it down to 230 and that was the lowest it would go. 

- I have it on the lowest heat it will go. 

- and right now it has been 4 1/2 hours, and the turkey is ready 155 internal.

there is temp gauge on the box and it says the temp is warm. But I double check with a temp gauge that I place in there and it gives me the exact temp. I put the temp gauge above and below the turkey to see what it says. 

I have a brikmann Gas vertical smoker. and I live in Georgia if that matters. and I expected the turkey to take around 11 hours and clearly not half the time. but it's no big deal because I can just adjuct to eating the turkey cold. 

Thanks. 

and here is a picture it looks like. 

18776086_137705_raw.jpg

I have a water pan and chip pan in it as well. and my water is apple juice. and it seems to go faster then other people I know. I would say within two hours I need to fill the pan up with more apple juice. 

So I went back out an hour later and the temp says it is 140. which would be great for me because it would get close to ending on the appropriate time. as long as it ends after 1:00 I will be fine, because that means I could wrap it in tinfoil, throw a hot wet blanket on it, and throw it in the cooler and it will keep it warm for 4 hours. Unless someone has another idea.

I am thinking I checked it close to a bone or something. 

but anyhow, it generally does cook my foods faster. and the lowest I can get the temp is 225. Which is not bad. but it is weird how fast my foods cook. 

So I went back out an hour later and the temp says it is 140. which would be great for me because it would get close to ending on the appropriate time. as long as it ends after 1:00 I will be fine, because that means I could wrap it in tinfoil, throw a hot wet blanket on it, and throw it in the cooler and it will keep it warm for 4 hours. Unless someone has another idea.

I am thinking I checked it close to a bone or something. 

but anyhow, it generally does cook my foods faster. and the lowest I can get the temp is 225. Which is not bad. but it is weird how fast my foods cook. 

Well , as long as it is consistent , I'd just go with the flow and plan your cooks accordingly. 225 is a great temp to BBQ at , and that big bird might stall , so you'll probably be good. Have a good turkey day , man.

If you don't have one, get a needle valve regulator for the bottle. It will give you much finer heat control.

Well , as long as it is consistent , I'd just go with the flow and plan your cooks accordingly. 225 is a great temp to BBQ at , and that big bird might stall , so you'll probably be good. Have a good turkey day , man.
That is exactly what it seems like it is doing. since I last wrote it was at 140, it has only gone up to 145 since then. 

whew that s a big relief. because now I know that I will be able to throw it into tin foil with a hot wet blanket and into a cooler for a good 4 hours and keep it warm. 

also this turkey looks amazing. I heard a lot of people complain about such a large turkey, but this thing is beautiful. the skin is very crisp and the juices are just dripping out of it. I threw a brisket ontop of it to let it drain juices on top of it. and I rotate the water pan and chip bucket. I make sure it does not get to smoky on the turkey, and if so I just take it out. 

If you don't have one, get a needle valve regulator for the bottle. It will give you much finer heat control.
that is a great idea. thank you. 

I can get it down to 225, but sometimes it is nice to make it lower. thanks and I'll see how that helps. 

I also cracked the door with a thin carrot (maybe 1/8th). thinking that would help bring the temp down. and it brought it down to about 215. 

but it is still very wierd to me how these other foods cook so fast. I could throw in a 10 pound brisket and it will be done within 4-5 hours. but it is always wonderful. it has a smoke ring that is thick. and then holds juices like no other. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky