Where's The YAWYE Folks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuckles

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Western Illinois
Trying to figure out why there's so little participation in the YAWYE Group. There is nothing innately inconsistent about healthy eating and smoking great food. There is no shame in healthy eating. Sure, we can all make smoked food unhealthy, but it doesn't seem like it should be that tough to reduce the fat, calories, carbs and salt by some reasonable amount. Might need to try some different and unusual seasonings but if it looks good, is juicy and flavorful, its all great. Been messing with some Indian spices on the stove top lately. Will be trying to incorporate them and other international flavors into my smoking soon. You are all so experienced, friendly and helpful, surely you can handle this challenge. OK, bottom line, I need your help, no, we need your help. We need more participation in this group. Haven't got your attention yet? Sex is easier for healthy people. LOL.

Hi Gary,

Had a couple of "not so greats" but the one that came out well was chicken thigh quarters rubbed with grape seed oil and then a blend of 6 Tbs Jeff''s (used brown sugar sub in the Jeff's) with 1/2 tsp Tikka Masala blend that I got from MySpiceSage.com. Rubbed on and under the skin where I could.  Smoked with oak until IT reached 135*F, then no smoke to 165*F.  Not real strong Indian flavor but good.  Next time, when weather gets more pleasant (I know, I'm a wimp), I'm probably going to try cutting the Jeff's to 4 or 5 Tbs, eliminating the oil and mixing the rub with fat free plain yogurt. Might even eliminate the Jeff's altogether and just mix the Tikka Masala blend with a little brown sugar sub and yogurt.  I liked the oak but YF suggests I try cherry. We'll see.

Roy   

Normally, my favorite part of Tikka Masala has been the sauce, but since I need to pay attention to what goes in my mouth, anything I can do to make it a bit healthier but still tasty is worth a try.

I'm with you on this one, Chuckles. We love the food, flavors, and spices of India, and incorporate them in our meals quite often, both with a variety of traditional regional Indian dishes, and non-traditional. In fact, for a lazy late breakfast this morning my wife, daughter, and I split some leftover lamb vindaloo and chicken tikka masala.

I make a number of Indian spice mixes and marinades from scratch and use them frequently with food items that are fully smoked or partially smoked then finished in the oven. For this recent Thanksgiving I adapted something I often use with chicken and prepared a spice mix made up of garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, chile powder, paprika, then blended it with minced onion, garlic, ginger, and yogurt to create a marinade for the turkey. I cold smoked the turkey for an hour, applied the marinade on the breast under the skin for several hours the roasted it in the oven. It came out with a really great flavor, but it didn't overwhelm the turkey. Even the close minded traditionalists commented favorably.

BTW, if you want something healthy with the tikka masala sauce, try it with paneer. I've had it several times, and properly prepared, it's really very good.

Well I for one am delighted to see this thread!

My "magnificent obsession" is savoring exotic, HEALTHFUL, and minimalistically prepared food; (and getting others excited about life more, via me sharing such things).

It's nice therefore, to hear others express that they love eating healthfully.

Here is to that!!! Cheers! - Leah

Had something like tikka masala ckicken one time with paneer replacing the chicken. Seemed kinda like firm tofu or maybe fresh mozzarella to me. It was good. It would be perfect for the vegitarians out there. Of course they are probably not on this site too often.

I'm almost as new at healthy eating as I am at smoking so suggestions from everone will certainly be appreciated. I was excited to find the YAWYE group but surprised that there was so little interest. Perhaps with all of the experience found throughout this site we can breath some life back into the topic. That would really be great.

Thank you so much Gary!!!

And yes, I agree with Chuckles too. I joined that group a while back but was surprised that no recent postings were there etc..

Here's to "holding the plane up" in the name of healthful eating, indeed!

Happy new week!!!!!! Cheers! - Leah

Had something like tikka masala ckicken one time with paneer replacing the chicken. Seemed kinda like firm tofu or maybe fresh mozzarella to me. It was good. It would be perfect for the vegitarians out there. Of course they are probably not on this site too often.
Paneer is nothing more than an Indian version of cottage cheese that's fully drained then weighted down and compressed to form a solid block. For use it can be cubed and gently fried, or crumbled and incorporated in whatever dish you're making. Also, it's stupid simple to make. All you need is whole milk, an acid such as lemon or lime juice, or vinegar. And, in keeping with the forum's theme, it can be lightly cold smoked just like any other semi-soft cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky