Where do you source 20-24" pipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JarrodS

Original poster
Feb 8, 2022
New guy here. I am at the start of the planning phase to build an offset backyard smoker. Something along the lines of a Franklin or Millscale backyard but might do a square firebox so it can serve as a grill/griddle as well.

Don't even know where to begin looking for the pipe material. What industries use 1/4" thick steel pipe in these diameters? I imagine that ~4' of such a pipe amounts to scrap to somebody who works with it all the time. Where to look?

I know tanks are also popular. Are they easier to find? I find the sealed pipes to be more appealing for some reason. Seems like it would be easier to build a collector around one of those.

Last edited:
Stop by your local steel center, most sell new pipe and also recycle, which is sold at discount prices. What you are looking for is generally called a 'drop', meaning someone ordered less than a full joint of 24" od pipe and the steel center has some left over. It's possible they can direct you to fabrication shops that use certain diameter pipe on a regular basis, but beware they might might purchase high grade steels. If you tell them you are building a barbecue pit they should steer you in the right direction

Fabrication shops typically do not use shorter pieces and may be willing to sell for a cheap price. Scrap yards are a good place to look as well. Just make sure it wasn't used in some sort of chemical process, some chemicals can impregnate into pipe walls.

As Thirdeye mentioned, ask for "drops" and mention its to BBQ. Agree with Inda, fab shop is best because they normally have new pipe that hasn't been used for chemical process. What area are you located? I work for a fabrication company and may be able to get a piece for you.

Reactions: JarrodS
Wow thanks for all the replies. I live in Nashville, TN.

Thanks for checking.

We haven’t found any pit builders in middle Tennessee. Closest seems to be workhorse In Georgia. Anyone know of anyone in this area? (Sorry - this is a bit off topic)

East and West Tennessee. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be anyone building pits in Middle Tennessee. Especially with the crazy growth in Nashville in the past 10 years.

Maybe they skip over areas where us hillbillies roll our own cookers lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky