what to do for big game

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

codymcgee

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Shepherdsville, Ky
ok it's now 9:38am here in KY and I need to put something on the smoker today for the game. my plan was to do some pulled pork but I drink a few too many brews before during and after the UK game and never went to the store to get my butt lol

so I still want to do a butt but that takes about 12 hours on the ECB for an 8 or 9 pounder. ribs of course would be the next choice but we've been eating them a lot lately and everyone in the house is sick of them except me lol.

I thought about chicken but I've had bad luck with it before. I only have hickory and every time i try it with chicken it's way too strong even with very light smoke.

any suggestions are welcome.

yep, abt's, meatloaf, meatballs, chicken wings, brats, kilbasa, shrimp. lots of options.

3 real easy and fast...

1. London Broil, get some quick marinade to tenderize, it only needs about 20 minutes to work. Then season it with bbq seasoning then liberally with steak seasoning.
Put in smoker with digital probe, some at 225º, and pull it when the temp gets to 135º, put under broiler for about 4-5 min. per side to crisp up the surface.
Besure and cut on the bias against the grain.

Total smoke time about 1.5 to 2 hours.

If you have real good control over your heat, once the temp gets to 130º turn the heat down to 135-140º and hold at that temp for an addition hour to get more smoke in. Don't try this unless you can really control the heat + or - 5 deg.

* I do the holding method, and the last 30 min. wrap in foil, when I remove to broiler and unfoil there is a lot of great meat juice, I use it for au-jus

* Be sure and let meat rest 15 min...

2. Pork roast. go buy a pork roast, season it, bbq seasoning and I use steak seasoning, brown the roast on stove in some olive oil. Once brown remove Roast and (deglaze pan with some red or white wine, save that liquid).
Put roast in smoker, with digital probe, smoke until temp is 150-155º, immediately seal in foil. Let rests for about 20+ min. a lot of juice will then be in foil. Use the foil juice and the deglaze juice to make a sauce.

3. Sirloin Roast, Pretty much same procedure as the london broil. It will come out like Prime Rib but better...

while your at it, smoke some mushrooms, size about 1-2", put in smoker on a rack that will allow the moisture the mushrooms give up pass through.
Serve as appetizers.

well i went with what i was comfortable with. got a small butt(about 6lbs) and a nice rack of ribs.

I injected the butt with creole butter and used some sweet smokey rub on both the ribs and butt. i figure if the butt aint done at least the family with have some ribs to chew on.

thanks for the tips guys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky