What kind of wood is this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bark looks very much like black cherry. See if you can find cherry pits on the ground (very small for wild cherry). Dried leaves are serrated oval with rust colored hairs on underside along the stem at base of leaf.

at first i thought it was cherry.....was it on the ground long? the bark is not quite right for cherry. we do not have hickory here so i have no advice on that one. use google image search and look for cherry, black hickory bark and look at the pix.

but if could be black cherry if it was on the ground for awhile
http://homepage.mac.com/cohora/plant...herrybark3.jpg

and search for "cherry bark" and not just "cherry" if your google filter is turned off....

Sorry Neens, I may have spoken out of turn. What we have here is the Colorado State University Extension Service. They have several divisions, including horticulture. I guess I wasn't thinking when I mentioned it to you. Sorry!
redface.gif
Keith

its been down about a month.

Theres another down tree out there I will have to take some more pics of and see if you guys can help me out with that one too.

heres that other tree that fell to me this one looks more like apple than the other.

that one does look a lot morel like apple.....simple test....grill a few burgers and toss some on the coals......if it tastes good, GREAT!......if not....you're not out the price of a boston butt......:D

I agree with pne123 I think it is Cherry, I have one in my back yard, I went and looked and it looks like the last pix posted.. My two cents may not be worth much..

I believe the first pictures are of a Yellow Poplar. Note the woodpecker/sapsucker holes across.

High nector tree so would burn sweet. Worth a shot!

Looks like cherry to me to I cut up some not to long ago. The upper part of a bigger cherry tree has smooth bark like what you have . I would bet cherry.
Jason

Looks like cherry to me. I hate to be that guy but there is a wide range of answers. I would hesitate to cook with it until you really identify it. As long as it is an american hardwood you should be in the clear. I does not look at all like a needle bearing tree so you should be ok.

If you want to find out 100% fo sure what kind of wood it is before you use it . Look in your phone book for a sawmill close by and take a chunk of it and they'll be able to tell you what it is with out a doubt.

Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky