what is better tube or tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Patrick_K

Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
So i am going to buy the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker. But i don't know which one i should grab, the tray or the tube. What does everyone in here think? I live in N.C. so is there one i should grab over the other?

I would think of what type of smoker you have, what type of smokes your going to do and the length of time you are going to want to smoke. The tray is always great, you can fill all or 1 row so it is practical and versatile. The tubes work great in smaller areas / smokers. you can look at the adjustable as well and same thing fill it all or partially. Either way tubes or trays are a great product.

My thinking is time-based. I went with the 12" tube. But when I do burgers, I only need 2 hours worth, so I wish I had the smaller 6" tube. Wait! I was thinking about doing some cheese... so now I need a tray!

In other words, choose your size based on how long you want to apply "extra" smoke. And if you are planning on getting into this world the way most of us end up, just get one of each like a proper addict!

Time you smoke matters but more important is type of smoker. Have glots of air flow like in an electric or cold smoker? The maze was designed for this. Does your smoker eat oxygen, like a gasser, pellet or stick burner? The tube was designed for these. The maze is great with the Mailbox Mod and any smoker it's attached to, because there is plenty of air available to burn the pellets. Have fun....JJ

I own the 7-12 inch adjustable tube and the tray.

The tray I use exclusively in my MES, the tube is for when I want smoke in a short period of time, like when grilling pizza or fish, the tube is also handle for travel, if you rent a condo or anything it will likely have a gasser grill, so in a pinch you can use the tube to still put out a smoke kissed meal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky