What happened to cooking with wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ah. The purity debate. I'd love to have enough wood and the right smoker to smoke that way, but I don't have either. Most of us are doing this for fun and good food.

$275 a cord......thats what happened!

Ill agree I like to cook with 100% real wood.....real wood, real flavor.....but, its expensive and wasteful. Im just now starting to play around with lump.

Thank God I live in an area I go to the dump with a load of pine and come out with an oak/maple tree someone threw out. I love New England.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Let me get this straight.......White Cloud you can buy a 4' tall x 4' wide x
16 ' long stack of seasoned,split firewood for only $50.00 bucks!!! Around
Georgia I sell it for 215.00 a cord. Anybody that works for 8 hours cutting trees to length,splitting that wood, and stacking that wood for $50.00 is a idiot. Now a face cord of wood is 4'x18" x8 ',which will fit in a long bed pick-up truck. That runs $80.00 if you pick it up yourself.

Hey Big Al,
When I lived in Western Kansas, I had to bring mesquite from home to have bbq wood.

A cord is 4' high, 4' wide (3 rows) and 8' long, not 16' long. A face cord or "rick" is 4' high, 8' long and 16" wide or one row wide. A "rick" or face cord is 1/3 of a cord. Any wood chopper worth his weight will sell splits ONLY 16 inches long.
A full size pickup holds 1/2 a cord.
Those measurements are indisputable and are the standard nation wide.
A cord here in SW Missouri is selling for 125.00 per cord. That's down a bit because of the ice storm January of 07.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky